This season has brought back my earliest "WTH" moment from the road

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by DYLAN_131, Dec 15, 2018.

1. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I was 13 or 14 when my dad had a KW T660, Viper Red, ISX 15 w/an 18 speed manual. He was an O/O and leased on to Swift at the time (he has since then left the dark side). Anyway, we hauled their dollar tree freight and lumped (yes, that includes me at 13 or 14). We were at the Denver, CO terminal hunting for our trailer. Well, as anyone that frequents that terminal may know, it gets ridiculously icy in the yard (back then it did anyway, maybe they've figured out how to clear ice by now). Well, it was so icy, packed with other trucks and the inevitable ####### who STOPS on ice. Anyway, we got stuck due to losing our 5 mph momentum because of someone coming to a complete stop. No, he wasn't stopping to back up to a trailer or anything. So, there I was. Questioning humanity and the world and saying "what the f@#!". Then the words no one wants to hear "son, we gotta chain". Yes, you read that right. We CHAINED IN THE YARD". I'm sure I said "wtf" to myself at least 5 more times before finishing chaining. After all these years (I'm in my 20's now) I still have a key to that truck. I miss ol' Mary Anne.

It's amazing the bond some of us form with a truck and sentimental value some of us carry on forever. Hold on to that those of you who know the feeling. Her truck number was 131009. I miss ol' Mary Anne.

Drive safe and happy Holidays!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im glad you were able to acquire good memories.

Now I would see if we can get you a wife and married off. =) //teasing.

More than likely you are going to at some point in life try to find a similar model and recreate that time in your life when you save enough resources to get it done.

I had some pretty good rigs in my time however they did not get names too much. One in particular was a pretty consistent one which was really important. Just as there have been trucks that have physically broken enough to essentially try to kill me or someone else. (B&B Concrete Little Rock, old Paystar international, floor fell out with entire cab interior to the frame and driveshaft at 70+ on I-30 one day. and I was the idiot to take the truck back out after they added 2000 more rivets to it. The employer was the IDIOT for not simply buying short pete day cab and get on down the road without breaking down so much or just breaking)

4. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    Thank you, I am glad as well. You are 100% accurate in the fact that I will want to recreate that time in my life. I'm actually currently actively seeking the exact truck out (I know the odds are remarkably slim, but it's worth a shot). I am planning on buying a replica, putting the same truck number on it but changing motor choice, among other things. After getting out of diesel school, I made it a "must- achieve" goal, if you will to build one with my dad. Instead of the ISX15 we had orginally, were going to drop a C15 or C18 in it. Itll be a road queen to protect the truck as its sentimentally invaluable.

As for that truck of yours.... I can see why you didn't name that one. Yikes! Glad you made it out alive. Stay safe!

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Why is that strange? Although an incident that happened on the road (took 3 hours to make it up an icy hill...drive 'til I'd spin out, set the brakes, chop some ice & shovel to clear a path to get moving again, repeat until I made it up) made me jump at the chance to buy some chains when a good deal came my way (8 chains...4 used, 4 new in bag...$100. A few years later i found 2 more new in bag for $20, so I've got 10 chains), I've NEVER actually chained up to drive on the road. I have chained up in my back yard to get turned around in the mud...I have chained up at a job site to get my load dumped and get out...and I have chained up at a customer's drop yard to get my trailer parked & dropped and hook up to an empty.

They are a tool, used to get the job done. I can either spend a few minutes putting them on to work safely and get the job done, or I can waste hours slipping, chopping, and shovelling to get the job done. Much easier to chain up.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    I just remember thinking it was crazy to have to chain in the yard but having to take the chains on on the street in front of the terminal. Now, after seeing what I have, it's not all that strange.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I went with my Dad once to help unload some ladders. Afterwards he gave me a com check for $100.I was Surprised, He explained He always did it that way as the Company would only pay him half as much.This way He got the whole amount! Dishonest? Technically yes but so is ripping off Drivers. The extra cash was nice at the time. Easy money and I got a day with my Dad. He never gave me anything unless it was broken Old CB Old Mini Vac etc. I once ask him WTF? Everything you give me is broken? His answer was I figure you can fix it! Lol what a Character He was. He enjoyed seeing how far fetched a story I would believe when I was young.Sometimes not telling Me it wasn’t True. Knowing I would catch hell someday by retelling the story and finding out the hard way Lol. How many times I’ve found He was right about something years after my arguing with Him.He would just say OK you’ll see. Realizing his patience has helped Me do the same. Most things really aren’t that important in the big picture. Including my Opinion! I lost him Christmas Day 20 yrs ago. He was truly a great Dad although far from perfect. Always had my best interest in mind

8. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm sorry for your loss. He sounded like a great dad.
    Its crazy to think back at the stories. Just as you helped your dad unload, I helped mine. I remember one load we had to drop in New Mexico in the summer. It was 104 degrees outside but at 14 almost 15 years old I was able to unload the trailer myself. Since we lumped, and nothing was palletized, it was all done by hand. My dad would stand on the ground outside the trailer and stack the boxes to help prevent me having to stop and wait for the team of 4 to 5 folks to clear the rollers. My dad sure made me work for what I had, which has helped me to this day. Unfortunately, that load I got several minor heat strokes (puking but never passed out). I'd climb out of the trailer, puke then get back in. But that's just how we did it. We made it back to the dollar tree DC in Oklahoma all the way from NM with 1 minute left.

I dont think I've ever worked that hard even to this day. Those trailers were regularly 38-42 thousand pounds. Absolute craziness. Now, I get to help his business thrive by using my skills and business to keep his truck on the road. One day, him and I will team...

homeskillet and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    Also, I'd get the full $100 lumping pay as well. Sort of crazy and eery how similar our situations were.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My best memories Trucking from his teaching how to back up, double clutch enough to pass test. Taking Me in his Company Truck to 3rd party test site. He risked his Job to help Me out. Saved me about $3000. at the time I had a young family and bills to pay.4 yrs later bought my first Truck. He threw gravel on us taking off Bobtail Lol. We met up at TS and I told Him easy on the Truck!!! Later We ran into each other 3 times by chance. Although I believe he requested certain runs to make that happen. We ran together once so I could Drive his new Company Classic and He Drove my WS. All in all after trying to talk me out of Trucking He was Proud and supportive 100 %. The first Trip after getting CDL I Drove 400 miles while He slept. In order to make delivery on time. Mind you I wasn’t employed by the Company. I woke him up at around 3:00 am in Pa on I-90 in a rain storm. Asked if I should Park it as it looks dangerous hard to see the road except for when lightning strikes. He squinted out from the bunk and holler “ F it hammer down !!! Priceless he had more confidence in Me than I did!!! Enjoy the Holidays. Thanks for stirring up all the memories.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  11. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm glad I could conjure up some good memories, I thank you for the same. Happy holidays! Drive safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.