This sounds bad but we all want to do it

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by rccarlson22, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. If they could they would do it to you without ever having second thoughts. You don’t become rich without screwing other people over.

TexMountain, Badmon and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

The sad reality we live in :/

TexMountain and Badmon Thank this.
  4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    There’s also a contract that you sign with the broker if you try to go around him and break the no compete clause he might come after you, unless it’s a shipper you’ve never hauled for through that broker!

5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Are those even enforceable?

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, a non-compete tends to not be enforced at this level of dealings, yes. He used the wrong phrase though. It's a non poaching clause and those do tend to be enforced a lot more than a non-compete is.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sometimes you just can't trust a biker. LOL.

There are shippers out there looking to get rid of the broker. I've had a few give me their business cards during my otr years.

You'd stand a better chance though with more then one truck.
    As someone once menetioned on here. Your one and only truck breaks down. You and your entire business breaks down.
    I talked to Nucor. They want at least 2 trucks. To be a direct carrier without the broker.

Depending on what trailer you pull. Steel and lumber and cars probably won't be too hard. Groceries also.

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yes, but if they have a non compete in the papers you signed the lawyer wont be far from that tree either.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    absolutely it’s enforceable. I’ve seen it play out. I took on a Owner Operator here once (a snake) and he back solicited a Brokers customer, the Judge awarded the Broker 15% of every load the Owner Operator hauled for the Shipper, and extra $36,000 in damages for ruining the Broker/Shipper relationship. The damages was a estimate of the amount of money the Broker was expected to lose as a result of the Owner Operators actions.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’ve had a shipper once who wanted to bypass the broker by offering me the same rates the broker was and same terms, no detention no nothing, this way he wouldn’t have to put my trailer online to get loaded or unloaded ASAP, I told him not happening. Shippers aren’t stupid they know what the broker makes and are willing to cut him out of you give them the discount, basically under cutting the rate. You’ll keep that shipper until he finds a broker or carrier that can undercut your rate.

Just the way things are done.

Lite bug and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.