Threaded coolant hose leaking...what to seal the threads with?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by allisonisatranny, Mar 22, 2020.

1. allisonisatranny

allisonisatranny Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I replaced a coolant hose, this is one of those 3/8 - 1/2 braided hoses with threaded ends, something you would see connect to a fuel filter, but it has coolant running through it.

It's tight as I can get it with the wrench, but I have coolant that has a small drip coming out. What can I use to seal the threads to stop the coolant from leaking? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Screenshot_20200322-212428_Chrome.jpg
    Works way better than thread tape....also helps with disassembly later

Swine hauler, D.Tibbitt, SAR and 4 others Thank this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Wierd.

I've never had any luck with the paste.
    I always use the tape. Never had a leak.

But yes . Pipe thread always requires some sort of sealer before threading together.

5. allisonisatranny

Oct 6, 2014
    What would be the best pipe thread to use? Something standard from the local hardware store? I hate having to drain the coolant, I'd rather make sure I do it right the first time.

6. allisonisatranny

Oct 6, 2014
    I read the reviews on Google on that Harvey TFE paste, half were not very good.

7. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I've used both tape & paste, both work. Gotta be careful not to over tighten, especially if threading into brass or aluminum, it'll split and leak. As far as adding a pipe for something, I'd go with stainless, won't corrode or rust, or maybe brass...

wore out Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It's all I have ever used...thing about reviews is you have to ask if the person writing it was smart enough to use the product to begin with. Whether you use paste or tape the threads inside and out must be absolutely clean....that's where most fall short

Swine hauler, SAR, jamespmack and 4 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    @wore out is correct that it needs to be clean. Quick trip over wire wheel does wonders.

Now this is all I have ever used. But it's more the TFE. The stuff from you house hold supply story dont normally have it and is for stationary house hold water pipes. The junk that never dries.

81EAFt0NZLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Added, never leave the lid off, and never leave a bottle of it between your drives while working. Unless you like cleaning up a huge fricken mess. It was the hugh bottle, not 4oz..

10. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    We use this stuff.
    IMG_6121.JPG

11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Some those brass ones will snap off at a bad time while driving, use gal. steel or stainless if you can find one in that size?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.