Three times in two days

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    When a driver pulls to the shoulder for whatever reason and they want to get back onto the highway. You don’t just pull into traffic from a standing start. This causes crashes when drivers traveling at highway speeds run into a truck moving less the 10 mph.

Use the shoulder as a high speed merge lane. They are generally ten feet wide. Get your truck up to at least 40 mph. Then switch on your left turn signal. Check for a good opening and merge into traffic safely.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Common sense imo

A driver died near Waco a few years ago from rear ending another truck doing that. He was trapped in lane and couldn’t stop fast enough. He never had a chance

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I had 1 do that to me on I 75 in GA yesterday.. I was just starting to move over and he came off the shoulder at less than 5 mph with his RIGHT signal on

Kyle G., D.Tibbitt, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Its worse than that. Blind side merge from center barrier of I-270 Express Lane near Rockville Maryland against 90 mph traffic with a bridge 200 yards in front of you. One way or another you are going to merge with traffic or with bridge column.

I had a dollar truck and getting her going was really easy that day empty. Just set 5th high and add clutch at redline. She'll be at 30 and time to shift to 7th. Never mind that brown clutch material falling off behind you.

Wargames Thanks this.
  6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    In the 3 hour cdl schools they offer now. Teaching how to merge onto the interstate from the shoulder isnt a requirement.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Kyle G., flood, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  7. jinxutoo

jinxutoo Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Illinois
    If they are on the sholulder for anything other than a mechanical or medical emergency they should be ticketed and the company fined. Good revenue source for these broke states. How many times a day do we see trucks right before an exit or after pulled over on the shoulder when they could have taken the exit.
    Pretty stupid.

spindrift, kylefitzy, snowwy and 15 others Thank this.
  8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    The morons that do this stuff are generally too stupid to read, or take constructive criticism and apply it after seeing where they could actually be doing something wrong and dangerous.

Stupidity is rampant.

I see them pull off on the shoulder to take a whizz under an overpass, or just past an exit.
    Why not take the exit and significantly reduce the hazard for all involved?

Stupidity.

Kyle G., kylefitzy, dunchues and 8 others Thank this.
  9. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    How do I know I’m in the south when I’m going coast to coast ?

Not knowing how to merge into traffic and 45 mph on the freeway. Yep soon as I see that I know I’m officially in the south.

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. jinxutoo

jinxutoo Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Illinois
    It's everywhere, not just the south.

larry2903, D.Tibbitt, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  11. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Been my observation, the stupidity starts in California, jumps to the southern new England states and southern ny. When we become overloaded in stupid it starts leaching into the remaining states.
    Outside of very rural areas, there is NO common sense anymore. People take a lot of pride in stupidity! The world is only about me and my entitlement no matter the action or expense.
    Stay healthy and safe

Kyle G., D.Tibbitt and tommymonza Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.