Throttling will get you in to trouble.

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by snowwy, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a little moral in that story. They have no problems taking money hand over fist and instantly doubling the plan speed etc.

But they dig in and strangle the poor firefighters who provide of all things their own support where they must have it.

I sometimes examine my own internet. It's not capped. But due to where I am from the County's data link to the back bone, it is crappy enough that it provides it's own cap. Sometimes I think they prefer us to have crappy internet. Cheaper for them.

One of these days I'll consider moving to Kansas City where you can get Fiber Optic for half what you pay the provider here for essentially access to heaven.

I am speaking strictly as a wired user. I disable wireless for security reasons because in College in this area, I used to learn how to get into people's unsecured home connections where possible as part of class. (War driving)

I have a little bit of internet on my phone, but it's such a crappy overall experience with hardly any service from the towers it's not really worth it. There is no point. Now if I was to pay alot of money, say 100 dollars a month and a 1000 dollar cell phone that will play videos in 4K without lagging off the towers, Im pretty sure they will fall over themselves to give me a illusion of good service for that money.

It does not surprise me that a major company will choose to put money above the lives of our EMT, Firefighters, Polce and warfighters. If they require non throttled service, they can pass the hat and pay the service provider.

I say they hired the wrong provider in the first place. They should find another or build a few towers for their own use.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I liked the sales associate who tried to get them to BUY MORE.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Verizon throttles me everyday lol

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    They all throttle.

And to be honest,.. ATT and Sprint will throttle worse than Verizon. Verizon cuts to 600kb/s. ATT cuts back to 128 KB/s and Sprint cuts back to 64 Kb/s.

Hurst

KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'd hate to see a Verizon property be a blaze.
    I wonder if firefighters would even try to put it out. Or maybe use 1 garden hose to say they tried.
    Perhaps the local Marshall in this instance would than say the insurance should not cover damage due to Verizon negligence of said property.
    This is just a what if. Lol.:D

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Oh I'm sure that ordeal went over like a fart in church.

I'm sure some dumb ### liberal firefighter called for better service and didnt explain the circumstances. Else I am 100% positive Verizon would have given them what ever they wanted.

My brother is handicapped and when power went out in Fla during some storms,..much of his medical equipment uses the internet for cloud data retrieval and storage,.. and wont function with out internet. When I called Verizon to explain what was happening at home they lifted the caps on my mobile wifi hotspot on my phone during the outage.

Hurst

Grumppy, KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Wow.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I didnt get to keep it that way. 6 days of unlimited unrestricted data was it. They even sent a text warning me it was about to be returned to 'Normal' the next day unless I called back to request more time.

I guess thats as fair as you can be.

Hurst

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    No they don't.
    I've got sprint unlimited, they don't throttle anything.
    I burn threw a 1000 gigabytes in a month.
    Never throttle anything.
    I watched YouTube all day long everyday.
    Don't even turn my tv on anymore.
    I can't believe it myself.
    80 bucks a month. Can't beat it.
    And it's all 4g.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.