Thumbs up for Admiral Merchants Motor Freight

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by FloydNasby, Sep 30, 2017.

1. FloydNasby

FloydNasby Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I feel like I should say something for the benefit of other flatbed O/O's. I was at Landstar (my first O/O gig) for three years. I thought they were the "best" and mostly I was satisfied. But one thing led to another and I found myself at Admiral Merchants Motor Frieight and I can't believe how much better it is to be leased on with this carrier over Landstar. Let me list the ways.
    -no ELD because my truck is older than 2000 (all new hires have to have ELD at LS no matter what)
    -no lengthy orientation. Just filled out the paperwork and did half a dozen Pro-Tread videos
    -find my own loads anywhere I want and get 85%. Loads off the Admiral board are 75% of gross
    (LS loads that I book on my own, pay 12% more to the truck than they did when I was leased on with LS)
    -immediate payment after delivery unless it's late in the day (once a week with LS)
    -lots of help from Admiral agents (very rarely did I get called by LS agents)
    -not required to have hazmat (mandatory at LS)
    -no having to listen to corporate "bs" when you're on hold like LS. Not that I've ever been on indefinite hold like I experienced at LS
    -no more being referred to as a Landstar BCO (business capacity owner) What exactly does that mean anyway?
    -on my one visit to AMMF's office, I did get to chat with the VP among others, and I did get to provide feedback to the IT guy regarding their website. And then they took me out to lunch.

Also AMMF focus is flatbedders and I like that. They don't have any fancy terminals and that works for me. No, AMMF is not a publicly traded corporation, it's family owned and maybe there's something to that. Yeah, I'm very happy to be leased on with Admiral Merchants.

Mitchmmd, Hegemeister, RERM and 11 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've been thinking on and off about moving over to AMMF for a while. Good to hear some reviews on it, not too many people post about this company for some reason. Do they have a lot of decent paying freight on their board or do you have to find most of your loads?

snowman_w900 and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Does admirals do much heavy haul?

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

I lost a very good friend this year, he was on with A M. He never had nothing but good things to say about them. Tim had been with them for many years.

6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I am sorry for your loss.

snowman_w900, blade and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When I flat bedded I hauled a few Admiral loads under my own authority, good paying freight, never an issue. A friend of a friend works there, he really likes it. I forget his name, so no use asking... ;-)

9. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    Thanks I currently have my own authority as well but I’m thinking I am going to suspend it at the end of the year and just lease on

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Funny, I'm actually thinking of turning mine back on, LOL! Going to wait and see how badly this ELD kills my income. I figure around a 30% hit right now. Not good. Not the ELD, but the HOS. We shall see.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.