Ticket without ELD?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by BigGP, Dec 12, 2017.

1. BigGP

BigGP Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Hey everyone i was just wondering if anyone is aware of what are the truck with no ELD are gonna if pulled over?
    Fine of $50? $500? $5000?

Out of servise?

I have made an order on my ELD and they keep pushing the dates. Seems like i am not gonna have my ELD in time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Go to the truck stop and buy one. If you're already using a Rand McNally or Garmin GPS, they each have their own ELD that allegedly synchs up with their GPS...meaning no need for an "extra" phone or tablet to dedicate to this nonsense, and no monthly fees. The Garmin stores all data locally, so no need to worry about your info out there in the cloud or on the internet beyond your direct control.

illbback Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I honestly don't know, and I honestly doubt they will be looking for them in the next few months or until they feel it's a "done deal". But regardless, there will be an expected "grace period" probably for 3-6 months.

The guys with the old beaters who obviously are trying to skirt the mandate can probably expect to have their paper and vehicles scrutinized pretty heavily from Day 1. They seem stick out like a sore thumb today and are in much more numerous numbers the last 6 months [or so it seems to me].

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I’ve been seein a lot of decrepid FLD’s lately, I would hate to spend 10 hours in one of them.

peterd and LWT104 Thank this.
  6. BigGP

BigGP Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2016
    There is a huge difference between ELD and AOBRD and i have been told that you can not switch back to AOBRD if you start using ELD device. Don't know if is true, but i have been told that ...

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You might get a ticket but you will not be put out of service. That punishment is being delayed til April 1 2018

8. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    That's exactly what I've also seen and heard, but it will be interesting to see if the troopers go into a major ELD mode with quick stops just to see who doesn't have one starting on Monday. Needless to say, I have a hunch some states will see that as a quick and easy way to raise money by writing tickets... but we'll all find out next week.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That's the nice thing about a day cab. If I'm inside the 100 air-mile radius, my response has always been "I don't have a log book...not required". I plan to do the same with ELD's. Even if it is plugged in, I'm going to claim exempt status whenever possible. Why? Because I can't get in trouble for something they don't need to see if they don't see it. Even if everything is perfect in my log book and I hand it over, the end result is the same as when I convince them I'm not required to have one...no violations...except I don't have to sit there as they comb through it searching for that 1 little mistake I didn't make. Shortens the length of the stop when there is that much less info for the officer to process.

10. Frontman

Frontman Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Captain Brandon Douglas of Tennessee’s state police suggests that in his state, citations will most likely not be issued before the April 1 beginning of enforcement of the out of service criteria. While he speaks only for the state of Tennessee, speaking more generally Douglas feels like it “seems to me that you shouldn’t write a ticket for it” if it’s not being counted in a carrier’s CSA Safety Measurement System scoring profiles or being enforced as an out of service violation, both of which have been announced as official policies of, respectively, FMCSA and the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance of enforcement and industry.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Everybody get a load up to Indiana for Monday. Their Attorney General has filed an official request to the FMCSA to delay ELD for two years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.