Tie rod cross tube thread chaser?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I just read Boxcarr’s post. Better take his advice. Sounds like he’s been there done that. ( a few times) Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    For me it was just too difficult. I spent about an hour and a half trying to break one side loose enough to get the tie rod into where it should be.

I'm going to be getting a new tube that's the only answer for me at this point. Too much bull work for something that is too far jammed up.

I did count the number of threads that were exposed, and I'll go back to that but that tie rod had so much play just have to get lined up.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, i suggested the new tie rod sleeve, best you spend the extra now and get it. then coat both ends with anti-seize..

usually those sleeves rotate rather easily, but our trucks take more weather, salt then the average 4 wheeler ever will, and also, not as many alignments, so those sleeves can rust up to a point of no return.

yes, counting threads is important, to get you back to a "general" alignment, but then of course, take it to a shop for a proper alignment.

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Not in your exact circumstances, but I have taped an abrasive to a drill bit, wrapped it around tobhold itself and compact it, then stuck it in and spun it it inside the thing to be cleaned. In this case it would have been coarse steel wool. Those do get beat and newer is likely far easier.

6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    How about an aftermarket cross tube?

I have a supplier that will sell me an auto man cross tube for about 129 and I'll get it in a day or so.

The genuine Meritor is about 266, which I think is a good price for that, but I have to wait until just about the end of the month.

Is the aftermarket Automan okay for that? What kind of problems can I have with an aftermarket tube if there are problems?

7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    That's an interesting thought. I would have tried that but now it's just time for a new one. I am not putting any more time into the Old Tube.

Just debating between Automan and genuine Meritor.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you might not get the same anti-corrosion protection that the OEM would have. but if you were to dump the truck, then go cheap.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.