time allowed to report a spill of "RQ" substance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by fishdog, Mar 17, 2013.

1. fishdog

fishdog Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    fish dog asks I am studying for Hazmat endorsement in TX. I am looking for solid information on the timeframe allowed to report a spill of "RQ" substance. I am getting conflicting answers. The question on this site's practice exam says 15days. I researhed the PHMSA & DOT & that states 12 hrs on telephonic incident report and 30 days on written report. Anyone had to deal with this directly? What is the bottom line on this ?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc

Did you really just refer to yourself in 3rd person???

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Diesel Dave says, Times 2.........

skinnytrucker and losttrucker Thank this.
  5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    ASAP is the answer for a driver. But the book states you tell your employer ASAP and the employer has 30 days from the day of discovery in writing to the DOT on Form F 5800.1 (Hazardous Materials Incident Report).

Page 59 of the Hazmat Compliance Book. If you don't have a compliance book they sell them at truck stops or your first employer should give you one if they are a hazmat carrier.

You won't even see that question on the test because it pertains to what an employer must do. That's one reason I don't like practice test because they randomly make their own questions up that you will never see. When I took the test almost all of them were the same questions in the manual at the end of each section. I told another driver that recently and he come back saying only half of them were but he still passed. The state manuals follow federal guidelines for the most part. They are all written and produced by J.J.Keller and Associates. You'll see that name a lot in your trucking career. They write almost everything we use. www.jjkeller.com

6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Spill? What spill? It was raining that day. All I saw was water pooling up and draining into the ditches. You must be mistaken, I didn't report anything. There was nothing to report.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It all evaporated! What spill?

The last I seen it was going down that creek over there!

Or pull a match out, prove it! :)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    After unloading a tanker, the residual chemical left over in the tanker trailer is called "heel."
    A tank wash has the proper facilities to dispose of "heel."
    Driving 70 mph down the interstate at midnight on a dark moonless night with the unload valve open is not the proper way to dispose of "heel."

A tanker driver is supposed to report any hazmat spill, immediately, if not sooner.

bred55 Thanks this.
  9. fishdog

fishdog Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you for your input

10. fishdog

fishdog Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    I get the picture... Thanks

11. fishdog

fishdog Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Allright Sir, Thank you for the guidance

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.