Time management and trip planning...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Question for experienced drivers that can benefit rookies.....

Let me start with how I plan my day, assuming a full drive day with no stops other than mandated and "unplanned " (bio breaks) ones....

About 1 hour before I am legal to continue, I wake up, shower and eat. By the time that is complete, I am legal to go on duty and PTI/Fuel(assuming I did not fuel before I shut down and need fuel to complete my day).

I plan on my meal break somewhere between the start of hour 5 and end of hour 7. About every 7-10 days, I will choose a Wal-Mart based on satellite view to make sure I have ez entry and exit. This would be a supply stop and would be 45-60 minutes. Otherwise, if I pull in not particularly hungry, I will take a power nap for an hour and continue (I believe in the power nap, but DOT don't, WHY?)

Before I continue, I plan 3 possible points to stop at based on hours remaining on my drive line:

x hours × 65= acceptable stop
    x hours × 70= ideal stop
    x hours x 75 = stretch stop

If I know I am coming in so late, parking may be an issue; I will reserve in advance, just to be sure that I don't have to fight for a spot(my company reimburses me for this)...

Would anyone do anything different?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Yes, I’ll run linehaul so I don’t have to worry about any of that crap anymore ;)

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It depends on who you run for.

Some places plan for 55mph average. You take longer than a 10h + 30min break then that 55 mph truck will pass you by. Then, the next load you get will assume you were that 55mph truck and are further down the road than where you are now.

Now you are "late" all week with no hope to catch up because you need to stop for traffic signals and your truck won't do 160mph to make the last delivery before the weekend and they are closed.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That post makes me glad I’m home every night.

6. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    His post is exactly how I imagined it would be as a regional or OTR driver under elogs, which is why I bailed and got off the road before ever experiencing it. No longer being able to get to where I preferred to park, being able to relax and sit down for a nice dinner, etc. The whole thing sounded like #### to me so I ran, I ran so far away...

buzzarddriver, x1Heavy and skellr Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It's what they want to see or only want to see because that math is easier. You slow down and become the "slow" driver then they send you to places that take forever to load or give you the runaround doing "favors". Then you get bent and make a rant about how the company sucks because they make you sit so much. o_O

Not all places, but it's prevalent enough.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And Im glad I GTFO while things were simple in 2001, 10, 8, 10, 8 etc.

9. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    In this post time will be in .25 (meaning 15 min) increments.

I wake up .75 before my 10 hour break is up. I only need .75 to wake up, brew my own coffee, pre trip, eat an apple, and I'll actually stretch and power walk a bit around. This leads me with 1 total hour, .25 into the 14 clock.

I'll drive as far as I can before I get hungry or bathroom. Then I'll make a sandwich in my truck. This will be my 30 min break.

I'll drive the remaining time and find a place to park for the night.

Typical driving day I stop once for my break and a few times for bathroom breaks that are 5 min or less. My goal is to have less than 12 hours from start of day to finish and still drive 10-10.5 hours. Going 70-75 I usually get 700mi. I shower in evening and ita during my 10 hour break. I also have an inverter, fridge, freezer, and microwave in truck with a weeks groceries.

I will also try to park for the night as close to or at my pickup or delivery location. I will load or unload also during my 10 hour break, sometimes it saves a lot of time since I'm flatbed. I work extremely hard but I enjoy being home every weekend.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    OTR on elogs is not that bad once you get smart about it, and if OTR suits your lifestyle. If OTR does't suit your lifestyle, you have no business doing OTR. Nothing wrong with OTR. Nothing wrong with local or regional. Regardless, just do what you have to do for now, or do what you prefer to do.

I need variety and to not be stuck in the same region month after month. If that makes you happy, more power to you. As far as the OP, seems like he has a pretty good handle on things. Once you learn your roads and what you can expect on a given day in a given season, you can be more aggressive about stretching your days out closer to 10.5-10.9+ hours and not worry about snags, especially in certain western regions.

Biggest factor [once you get into a position to set your preferred start time] is to avoid shutting down past 18:00, but much earlier if possible. I'm a day runner if given a choice, and if so, I like to start by 04:00 to 05:00 and drive 10-11 hours inside of 12 hour window. I will do an 8/2 split only in rare situations where the situation allows for it and it makes sense or is necessary to make appt or beat traffic. Planning to avoid peak traffic periods in major metro areas may be one of the most important aspects of trip planning longer cross-country loads.

SingingWolf, Lepton1, dunchues and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I will do an 8/2 split if it makes sense(like a shipper taking too much time to get their work done, if more than 4 hours, I will change to sleeper(backed up to 30 minutes after arrival time) and stay 8 hours, OR to milk a 70. I will run recaps if ABSOLUTELY necessary, but both are rare.

I actually prefer driving at night.... there are fewer ID10Ts on the road and there is something to be said about arriving at a truck stop after it's started clearing out for the day.... am I right?

Samuelh, bentstrider83 and homeskillet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.