Time on pretrip?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by hazmatwife, Jul 18, 2008.

1. hazmatwife

hazmatwife Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Harrisburg, PA
    Sorry if this is a repeat topic, I looked and lurked through the site, but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

Is there anything in DOT regs that states how long an effective pretrip should be? If so, where can I find it? (I need the proof! DH's boss tells him 20 mins is WAY too long.) I looked through the reg and found where pretrips are covered, but didn't see anything that indicates a time frame.

Thanks y'all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    I say 15 min...........

4. NealinNevada

NealinNevada Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    I know of no DOT regulation which speaks to the time that must be logged for a pre or post-trip inspection. I log 1/2 hour for both a pre-trip and post-trip inspection (1 hour total, on-duty, not driving), but I have no problem getting my job done each night within the HOS limitations (11/14).

Brickman and CA_Medicine_Woman Thank this.
  5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I log 15 min pretrip and just flag the post trip. The pre-trip is suppose to be a min. of 15 minutes.

Brickman Thanks this.
  6. NealinNevada

NealinNevada Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    I don't doubt you, but do you have a DOT reg reference for the 15 minute minimum for pretrip?

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There is no requirement to log time for a prior to trip, and a post trip inspection, but there may be a requirement to log 1 or the other. In Canada there is supposed to be a time logged for a prior to departure inspection.

No one has ever questioned my flagging a pre and logging 15 minutes for a post, that was how a former log department wanted it, also wanted us to fuel at the end of a trip so as to not reduce the available hours the next trip. You can be on duty as long as necessary after the 11 and 14 have passed, but you can't log driving time.

13 Double Over Thanks this.
  8. hazmatwife

hazmatwife Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Harrisburg, PA
    So, essentially, if there's no DOT reg that specifies what the time should be, then it's whatever the employer wants it to be. THEN when driver gets into an accident b/c he or she was rushed, employer says, "your fault, not mine" even though said driver didn't have an effective pretrip b/c of company's verbal policy. So therefore, driver is screwed.

I appreciate all your help guys! My DH is on the road a lot, so I'm just pretty much butting in, seeing if I can find some ammo.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I have been with 5 co's All of them required at least 15 min on the pretrip. I am in the same truck everyday, most of the time the same trl. I know when the truck is not right. Even if I did a 45 min pretrip why would I want to burn an extra half hour of my time by showing a 45 min pretrip?

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    FMCSR's don't say anywhere it has to be done in a certain amount of time. They only tell you what is to be checked. I always used 15min up to 30 min. depending on the truck.

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    20 minutes is not too long. But.......

My question to you is..who does your husband drive for that provides a log book with the hours broken into 20 minute segments ?

He either logs 15, or he logs 30. The DOT has no requirements that say he must round up to 30 minutes if he uses 20, so he could just as easily say 15. It will wash....

His boss has a point, he is wasting time that could be best used driving. He's giving away 1.5 hours over 6 days. Where if his log book was broken down into 20 minute segments. He would have an extra hour to drive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.