Time to renew my Insurance, who do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Checkonchico, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Checkonchico

Checkonchico Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    Im going to complete my first year with my own authority at the end of this month and it’s time to renew insurance. I currently have OOIDA and expected a big change in premium cost since I’m no longer “first year” and I also got no citations, warnings, or claims all year. But to my surprise, the premium cost stayed virtually the same, actually went up per month slightly.

So now I’m wanting to shop for a better deal. I just have a tractor and trailer with physical damage coverage(together worth about $40k realistically) and also have $1 million liability, $100k cargo insurance.

Which insurance providers do you guys recommend I should look into? Or should I stick with OOIDA?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Two years seems to be the point when premiums start to drop. OOIDA isn't even writing new policies now for new ventures with less than a 2 year old authority, so you got in under the wire. The best you can hope for is to look online and start calling around for quotes. Rates vary a lot according to the state where you are based out of, and I have a sneaking suspicion that all of our rates will be going up significantly over the next 2 to 5 years.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    COOL (Continental owner operators LTD) out of Billings, Mt.

KB3MMX and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had ooida for a while . Not good when there’s a problem .Theyre not an actual ins co. Hard to fight against When their best interest involve the members ( including myself) IMO Conflict of interest . Besides too expensive. Same with Health ins etc. I support ooida but dont think they should be in insurance business. As I don’t any benefit to members.Someone stayed no more new Carriers I rest my case . I be Had Northland through independant agency so far so good. 1 claim in 8 yrs I hit Pick up truck that sneaked in behind me while backing up in parking lot . Never heard a word or saw increase.

6. Frontman

Frontman Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I agree with Rideandrepair, try and find a local agency that can get you a quote from Northland. This will give you something to compare with your current policy rate.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. JHCoremark

JHCoremark Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2018
    CA
    There are a lot of options with a clean record and one year down. If your DOT is now past a year, progressive will take a look at you and they can be really aggressive when they see what they like.

Overall you should see a drop from SOMEONE, but right now Auto Insurance is really hot and some carriers can't stay in the green when it comes to insuring trucks. Find a Commercial Broker who specializes in transport and can put in an application to BHHC, Bellingham, Progressive or others. There are plenty of options with the right broker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.