Time to update the desktop.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Trucker.W, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Trucker.W

Trucker.W Light Load Member

May 21, 2007
    USA
    Time to get the machine just a little updated, this thing should scream. :biggrin_25525:

* CPU - AMD 9850 Phenom Black Edition 2.5
    * ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    * Biostar Mother Board
    * 4GB of RAM (G.SKILL DDR2 1066)
    * Seagate Barracuda (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB SATA Hard Drive 3.0Gb/s
    * MSI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
    * RAIDMAX HYBRID 630W Modular Cabling Modular LED Power Supply
    * (2) 90mm and (1) 120 mm case fans

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    I am a AMD fan but I would not spend my money on one if I was looking for a new computer, unless I was looking for a low end machine. AMD does not even compare to Intel and I don't see them doing so any time soon with Intels new Core i7 to be released early to mid 2009. This CPU will eliminate the long used Front Side Bus and is guaranteed to be a leap in performance... AMD has lost the edge for now, I have been a fan since the early 90's of the chip but I want performance and Intel is where it is at...

4. kaiwren986

kaiwren986 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Well AMD and Intel are always falling ahead or behind each other sort of like Nvidia and ATI, I usually wait for the next AMD chip, I cant see spending so much on Intel.

Also I wouldnt even bother with a quad core right now, nothing really takes advantage of it, much less a dual core. ALTHOUGH if you do lots of animation and 3d work it will help. I got a dual core AMD and play everything on high settings.

5. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana

The cost of Intel is no more then the cost of AMD unless you are looking into the extreme edition... Amd will not be on top for at least another 2-3 years.. They simply have not been matching up to Intel and Intel has much in development with increases where AMD really has nothing new but trying to upgrade their previous versions..

Quad core will only give you an advantage under multiple tasking.. Example.. you may experience a big slow down when you antivirus is running. well with quad core it would just let one core run it and you can then do something else with no slow down...
    that's about all quad core will do right now... there is a game out called Max something that is codded to use quad core. it is a cool game... Be many years before they will be able to take full advantage of many core systems... Intel and AMD already talking about 8 and 12 core CPU's

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.