Time Zone Change and HOS

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I just got back from Dothan AL and realizing last night that I went from EST to I believe Mountain Time I traveled backwards. Meaning I went back an hour. Now correct me if I am wrong but as for the 11 hour rule even though I arrived at my destination at 8 pm mountain time, it was actually 9 pm est which was the time zone I went on duty in. So on my log I would put 9 pm right? Or do I actually put the time on the log the truck physically stopped which would of been 8 pm.? Doing that seems like I am cheating the log and if I was questioned by DOT they would look at my BOL and know where I started and it would be obvious I started in another time zone.
    So the question is as for HOS do I put the time the truck stopped in the time zone I was in or do I add the one hour to the log because I did in fact drive that hour.

Thanks guys hope I made sense asking this question

59MackB61 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You log your time from your company home base.

A21CAV, Bakerman, brian991219 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Its your home teminal

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Always log for the time zone of your HOME TERMINAL.

For example:

My HOME TERMINAL is Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh is in the Eastern Time Zone. But I'm in Chicago, IL which is in the Central Time Zone. My log hours are still shown in Eastern Time Zone. So my pretrip at 6:00 local time (CST) will be logged at 7:00 (EST- Home Terminal time zone)

This way avoids confusion, and is clearly spelled out in the little green bible as "Da Law".

j_martell, brian991219 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You stay in the time zone designated by the carrier as your home terminal. It might be the same time zone as you live in, or the company's office or terminal is in, or it might be one clear across the country. Bottom line, regardless of where your truck is physically, your log book stays in the same time zone.

brian991219 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  7. Truenorthexpress

Truenorthexpress Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Dothan, al is in the central time zone. How do you not know where/what time zones you are in. How do you not know how to log properly?

8. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ya..Like Scooter says,its home base time.You dont suddenly only get 10 hours of drive time when you cross a time zone or 12 hours of drive!

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    look at your atlas.will kinda give you an idea. You cell phone should change but dont count on. It if you are nearr the line

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You don't consider the local time zone, only the time zone you work from. As for the Daylight Savings Time/Standard Time, ignore the time change until you get stopped and pretend you only have a stopwatch measuring your various HOS clocks. Adjust to the time change during your Sleeper, Off-Duty, On-Duty Not Driving time. But once again pretend you only have a stopwatch and stop with the "it's Xpm here but that's really Ypm now but it's Zpm back home so what time is it?" When you lose an hour, X out an hour on your log page. When they add an hour, don't ask me, I'm just a truck driver.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Time changes are not covered in most CDL schools. It's very common for new drivers to only discover this issue during the first switch of DST/ST while they are driving. I honestly never thought about it until the time changed while I was OTR. I knew I always logged according to home terminal, but hadn't thought about the time change.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.