Tinting on truck windows is legal

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bryan515, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    Ya, we talked about this subject the other day on another forum. Local shift's Deputies and various unmarked cars run 5% limo tint but it seems law enforcement is excempt from this law.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Because law enforcement vehicles are not commercial vehicles... why WOULD they have to follow that guideline? Same with any other city, county or state vehicle, or anyone's personal vehicle... not a commercial vehicle.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The more I think about this "commercial vehicle", I come to the conclusion we are nothing more than revenue.

Safety is really not the issue.

Badmon, SuperLiner and Katz Thank this.
  5. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have no idea where the original statute came from on this, but I know I could hide a helluva lot more stuff inside my big truck than in my Pontiac Grand Prix.

Probably safety-related, legislated after someone got run over by a big truck with tinted windows.

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Because they cannot look into the truck from just anywhere and see things that could become revenue.

Overpass, no seat belt.

Used to be missed, because of enough tinting to protect eyes and skin, but not anymore.

7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Overpass? Wouldn't they be looking through the windshield, anyway? And by the way, I won't participate in another BS "us against them" argument, I'm retired military law enforcement.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I am not in this as us against them.

I am just saying a recent trip for instance through Oklahoma on the turnpike.

The bears are STANDING on the overpass with RADIOS.

Chase cars come from the side and chase down vehicles. Ticket issued for no seatbelt.

If they had really good tinted windows, this might be missed.

9. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Or if someone was wearing their seatbelt, they wouldn't get a ticket.

Same with speeding or any other violation...

State gov't, pushed by safety groups, want seatbelt laws enforced - no way we're getting around that these days.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I have always worn my seatbelt except for the one time I should have and didn't.

I used seat belts as just something to show that they could look in.

It could be anything really.

My point is not aimed at the officer, just the fact that it allows for more revenue to a point.

How many big truck gangsters running around?

Now, the fancy decked out lincoln with the full dark windows and officer goes to pull it over and cannot see a thing? Not me.

11. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    393.60Glazing in specified openings.
    (d) Coloring or tinting of windshields and windows. Coloring or tinting of windshields and the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver is allowed, provided the parallel luminous transmittance through the colored or tinted glazing is not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence in those portions of the windshield or windows which are marked as having a parallel luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent. The transmittance restriction does not apply to other windows on the commercial motor vehicle.

There is no provision for a doctor's prescription in the Federal CMV regulation. I have seen only one authentic medical waiver for window tint from the FMCSA, and it would have to come from the FMCSA to apply to CMV's.

There are some State provisions for prescriptions for auto tint.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.