Tipping the people who clean the showers?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by BugEater, Jan 23, 2022.

1. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Yes i leave a buck in the shower, unless its bad
    once......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I’m seeing an increasing percentage of showers that are simply being given the “once over lightly” treatment. I know time is often a concern, but merely pushing the dust, nail clippings, and TP remnants into the corners of the room and leaving hairs in the shower does not warrant additional remuneration. I do occasionally leave a few bucks for a job well done however.
    Food servers often get 25 to 30% from me if they’re attentive.

RockinChair and jason6541 Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

When I went out West for a year I left a $5 tip in ALMOST every shower. Sometimes, I was paying for the shower and leaving a tip. Before that I was leaving a $2 tip anytime I got a free shower, unless it was awful. A decent shower has such a big effect on my morale I thought it best to at least try and help the people that made that happen. I'm sure nobody wants to clean the showers, so it's best to help people accept doing that job.

At the places I went often the porter, if they had one, or the clerk, if they recognized me, would not make me pay for a shower when I didn't have shower credits.

Blue jeans Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    The bottom of the barrel is still the bottom of the barrel even if the barrel is set on a scaffold 13 feet in the air.
    That seems to be a real difficult concept for some to grasp.

6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to do a job like that so I can get a shower any time late at night any day of the year so I usually leave a buck. I sure wouldn't want to do that job.

Blue jeans and Opus Thank this.
  7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Yes, I’ll leave anywhere from $2-$5. Think about it, it’s a total thankless job. We come in they’re all nasty and dirty haven’t showered in several days, the area is full of steam and during Covid probably every single one of those people caught it. If you’re cleaning a shower stall for me? I’m tipping you.

tscottme, Blue jeans and Opus Thank this.
  8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    No.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Problem with leaving a tip is the person you're tipping is actually cleaning the shower AFTER you've used it so you're not helping the person who actually cleaned it. The former could be getting a tip for a lousy job while the later is getting stiffed for their hard work.

10. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I think the people answering yes to the question don't shower everyday (which let's be honest, not showering everyday is the norm among truckers lol). I like to shower every single day so that would get expensive for me. No I don't tip but I believe these truck stops need to stop being cheap and hire someone to only clean the showers and the bathrooms and pay them good, about $17 - $20 per hour. Walmart is paying $14-$15 per hour so I think $17-$20 per hour to clean up after other truckers is a fair wage.

That's actually one thing I like about the Petro in Ontario, CA. Yeah it's pay to park but at least they have a designated person to only clean the showers/bathrooms.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes same here, when I first came to the USA tipping was a different concept to me, and so I'd tip all the time, however after a few months I started to think hang on a minute in reality if i'm tipping them, they are in fact kind of working for me so they'd better earn it, so if they made that extra effort, were polite, friendly, then I'd leave a tip.

Siinman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.