Tips on staying healthy on the road.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Left coast trucker, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Left coast trucker

Left coast trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Try to shop organic when you can they are not the same as non usually not processed and preservatives free you won't find them at truckstops or walmarts whole foods market is a good store to shop at. Subway has a anti biotic and process free chicken and Turkey sandwich also carls jr or hardees if you're back east. We have choices drivers and if you're driving a truck you can afford it cause its cheaper than having a heart attack feel free to share tips on staying healthy stay safe out there .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Krafty24

Krafty24 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Dixie
    I'm a vegan. I live in rice/beans. And peanut butter. Yet I'm gaining weight. I imagine it's all the carbs. But my blood pressure is phenomenal.

4. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    eat what you want on the road, just stay away from fried foods. stay away from the buffet. stay away from sugary drinks.

buy lean cold cuts, buy wheat bread, buy bottled water, for eating in the truck.

eating healthy does not have to be as expensive as shopping at Whole Foods.
    that store, Whole Foods, in of itself, is a bigger rip off than most truck stop restaurants.

bigkev1115 and Left coast trucker Thank this.
  5. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Don t be afraid to park in the back row at truck stops and get a nice walk to the building itself. A lot of times I would go for a walk around the parking lot or down the street and back. I would also get out and walk around while loading and unloading. I also drink lots of water to help keep your mind off eating

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    There is a really good workout app called bodyweight

Left coast trucker Thanks this.
  7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    High protein, low carb diet, lots of water (actual water, not pop/juice) and exercise.

I've been doing this for the past year and I'm down from a 46 waist to a 38 and almost 50 pounds. Granted, I work deck, so it's my main source of exercise, but you get the idea.

8. Krafty24

Krafty24 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Dixie
    Make sure you're packing at least a .38 snubby while doing so.

9. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    My trainer had had two heart attacks and was only 38! He would STILL eat out of truck stop restaurants but only ate chicken and only ate one meal a day (and thought it was healthy).

While with him for those grueling three weeks, I brought all my own meals. Mostly, cans of Best Value 12 oz., chicken breast, tuna, sour dough crackers, black beans, corn, string beans, fruit for the first two days, and lots of hot sauce. I was averaging 2000 cal/ day, and actually lost weight each week we were out.

I was doing flatbed but the two times/ day exercise was negligible. I actually lost muscle mass.

Now I'm local and moving equipment and steel every day with multiple stops. I'm probably eating 3000 calories of home made meals each day and have gained back my muscle but manage to keep the fat off.

I'm in my 40's and healthier than I've ever been thanks to eating only home food and jumping around chaining and unchaining loads all day.

I work with overweight guys who buy Arby's, McDs and other fast food everyday and work as hard or harder than me.

Taking the time each morning to pack a breakfast and lunch makes all the difference for me, these days. When I was regional, taking Sunday morning to pack food for a week kept me healthy.

What you eat (or what you don't eat) makes so much difference in your health. You only have one body- take care of it.

10. Left coast trucker

Left coast trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2015
    It would be nice if they made us unload and load our own freight and pay us for it we wouldn't have to worry about exercise we have to log all that time on duty anyways even if you're in the break room or sleeper according to the dot officer who wrote me for falsifying my logs cause I went to sleep while I was waiting to get unload for 13 hrs past my appointment time.

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Do you know how much preservatives those can foods have ? Do you know what they use for preservatives ? Look at a can next time and find the preservative that is in it then look it up, you will be surprised what they use.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.