Tire discussion

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Ok, serious question here....

I can think of 1 HUGE disadvantage to super single tires:

In the event of a flat/blowout, there is likely not a way to "limp" it to a safe haven to deal with and you will be stuck having to wait in the side of the road.... the last time I had to wait on the side of the road, it didn't end well for me when an ID10T who had been drinking slammed into the back of my trailer, bounce off spinning into someone else, and then ending up at my left headlight; all in less time than it takes for a 10m platform diver to reach water.....

Any other disadvantages?

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Less road contact and 2 less tire edges to grip if the road is slippery. Super singles cost a lot more to replace too.

Plus, the genius in the office who's never been in a truck let alone drive one, doesn't get to boast about how much fuel he is saving the company so he can get a promotion.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If you invest in the technology to monitor the tire PSI, you might be able to limp it to the tire shop. Prime trucks have a small device that alerts the driver when a truck tire gets below a certain PSI. Now, it is true that if the tire hits a sharp object on the road, it can blow up instantly, but I’d say those cases are in the minority. Usually the tire leaks air gradually, and so a tire PSI monitor can catch the problem within seconds.

Most new trailers nowadays come with a tire air system to alert the driver of a leaking tire and some models can even inflate the tires if they get too low. One of the drawbacks, however, is that there is no audio alert. It’s just a light on the driver side that lights up and hopefully your truck aerodynamic rear side fairing doesn’t block the light.

There is another way to address this super single issue and that is (for the owner operator) to carry a spare tire and the tools to mount and dismount the tire. So in a blowout, you pull over to the side of the road, remove the flat tire, install the spare spare, and rock on. Then days later, you stop at a tire shop to get your flat tire patched if still repairable or you buy a tire to keep as a spare.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Reason for edit: Clarification
    Doealex Thanks this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

True if it’s a blowout, but a set of 4 super singles is cheaper than a set of 8 dual singles.

alds and larry2903 Thank this.
  6. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    My company has the auto inflate system on all of our trailers, it is good to have, but it could be improved with a panel of 4 or 8 lights (depending on tire configuration) that actually tells you which tire is the problem child.... lol

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Do you know any driver who would actually change their own tire on the side of the interstate today? You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

Shawn2130 and jsnell Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I certainly would not recommend company drivers to change tires at all. This is more for owner operators.

On a side note, I should warn anyone trying to change their own tires that this can be labor intensive and you can hurt yourself if you’re not careful or don’t have the proper tools for the job.

9. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    I've never lost more than 1 tire at a time. Knock on wood, I've always limped into a tire shop. An hour and $275-$300 later , at a tire shop, I'm rolling.

How far does the cost of a service truck call + a new super single + the drivers time sitting out in Timbuktu cut into fuel savings?

10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    is that what that little light in the gray box thing means.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You left out the part where somebody might hit you at 80 mph while you're changing your tire, just an unnecessary little risk that a little savings on fuel or tires won't make up for.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.