Tire discussion

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Mar 29, 2020.

1. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    True, but duals do work better in the mud at least for me. The road leading to my house gets muddy sometimes and the only time I've ever gotten stuck is when I had a loaner truck with super singles.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Well, turn on the inter-axle differential lock and hit the pedal. If you do get stuck, throw in some chains. Personally I have never gotten stuck to the point of needing a tow. I’ve been able to free myself in minutes when I did get stuck in like 3 occasions. I’ve even helped a driver out of a hole using a wheel chock. Sometimes experience and thinking ahead helps prevent getting stuck and freeing yourself if you do get stuck.

PacoTaco Thanks this.
  4. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    I've gotten stuck a few times and was able to get out on my own. The only time I had to call for a tow was I had super singles.

Shawn2130 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

They sell these for super single tires if you don’t carry chains.

Attached Files:

Shawn2130 and PacoTaco Thank this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Also the ruined rim. Of all the super singles i have seen flat along the road, most of them left marks on the road indicating a rim thats badly bruised.

Rubber duck kw and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  7. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    What you say sounds great. But the ones i have seen flat, I was even behind one..they went BOOM. Don't need a tire monitor to tell that bad boy was out of air. The tire man always brings a rim already tire mounted, when on a call for a big single. They know they are hard to mount outside the tire shop, plus 99% chance you will need a rim anyway. If you like them fine..but not for me. They cut the big carries deals on singles to get them out there. They are not that popular otherwise.IMO.

Rubber duck kw, PE_T and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Tire blowouts have been seen as a fact of life and inevitable, but the truth is that with today’s technology and with proper daily tire inspections, you should not be blowing up tires. Anyone who has super singles and does not invest in a PSI monitor is asking for trouble and won’t be successful with supers. I inspect my tires 2-3 times every day, and I don’t remember the last time I had a blowout.

When you do inspect your tires properly, you prevent future tire problems. Maybe a metal object penetrated the tire; a tire cap needs to be retightened; thread is missing from the tire; thread is damaged or sliced; tire has bald spots; the PSI is low and you need to find the leak; and so on.

Shawn2130 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  9. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    The cap don't hold the air in..that would be the valve stem, under the cap. As for blow outs I will give you that..tires especially trailer, don't get much regular psi monitoring. Pulling containers on poor chassis tires is a definite disadvantage. Poor quality tires, and they set around and no one checks tire psi except at annual FHWA time. I.have pulled a empty with 30 or less psi in 5 of the 8 tires. Air them up myself.

Shawn2130 and PE_T Thank this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

A commercial grade valve cap is a backup. It’s not just to protect the valve core from dirt but can also slow down the leaking. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve taken off a valve cap to then suddenly hear air leaking out of the valve core. So I can confirm that a commercial valve cap with a rubber seal inside can in fact slow down the leak. Every year, I replace a few valve cores because they start leaking air, and every time I get some new tires, I also change the valve stem. Those also eventually leak from the rubber base.

stillwurkin and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.