Tire Tread depth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kevw45, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Kevw45

Kevw45 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2019
    So, I'm a company linehaul driver on a dedicated route that has a meet point in between for a trailer transfer and then returns to the home domecile everyday. On the way up, I pass through a weigh station everyday, no station back down. We use the same two trailers everyday. Last week I wrote up one of the trailers for having the minimum tread depth on one of the grooves (2/32nds) on one of the tires. They took it out of service, but substituted it with a trailer with a tire that was in worse condition (illegal) on one of its grooves. They told me as long as there is a groove that has 2/32nds on it, DOT isn't going to say anything. I said b.s. and we got into it. What do y'all say? I have little linehaul, and DOT inspection experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The actual regs are "at any point" for steers and "when measured in a major tread groove" for all other tires. I.E. if there is a bald spot that means the tire is illegal as a single spot is less than 2/32. Here are the regs from part 393.75

(a) No motor vehicle shall be operated on any tire that—
    (b) Any tire on the front wheels of a bus, truck, or truck tractor shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 4⁄32 of an inch when measured at any point on a major tread groove. The measurements shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, tires shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 2⁄32 of an inch when measured in a major tread groove. The measurement shall not be made where tie bars, humps or fillets are located.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    2/32’s is the wear out point on all tires. Car or truck. As far as all the tire manufacturers are concerned the warranty has ended and they are done.
    You run them down to the reg. 4/32’s on steers and then put them on drives or trailer until 2/32’s and than scrap or give them to a retreader.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'll let you in on a little secret.

You have no fight against the boss. ANY boss.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sure you do. There are too many companies running legal to stay employed with a boss that doesn't.

npok Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There may be too many companies but they're a rare find. You'll spend more time working for crap. If the company is any good. They probably keep their drivers. Be hard to get on one that does. There's more that aren't worth a crap then is. Far more.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The scale is also a big deciding factor in legal companies.

Those that never see a scale. Usually won't be legal untill they get a random from highway patrol.

9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Horsepuckey. When a tire needs replaced, my drivers replace them and put the receipt in the trip packet. That is all they need to do. They darn well better not "write it up", I got more important stuff to take care of than a worn out tire...

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's nice.

Most aren't that way.

11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It’s no secret that tires are a huge expense. One tire can be a monthly house payment depending on were you live. 2 tires is a house payment.
    I tend to notice the people that always have all the tire issues are the ones that don’t have to worry about purchasing them. The one’s that do purchase take better care not to tear them up. Or cause damage and wear to the parts of the equipment that will eat tires.
    The megas or the so called better/safer companies might replace a worn tire with one that is legal tread but look at the sidewalls and you will find that the “bald” one you had was much safer.
    I’m not talking about normal wear and tear kinda stuff like Nails and tread punctures that are routine and can happen to miles old brand new tires. That can and will happen to everybody but it is what you do to the tire before you get it repaired that makes the difference. Do you ignore your tires until they have a problem or do you baby them to keep them problem free.

Doealex, D.Tibbitt and Tug Toy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted