Tired of evacuating....

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by thirteen, Sep 16, 2008.

1. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    I am currently in management at a decent sized corporation. The bad part is that it is in southeast Texas on the coastline. Before I landed this job I drove a few months OTR and a couple local. My family and I have decided, while the kids are still fairly young, it would be a good idea to move away from our recently deemed hurricane prone area.

I know you would all ask me why only a few months. Well, I wasn't quite prepared for the industry as far as the normal (lies about home time, pay, blah blah) and I also had a newborn at the time I was anxious to get home to. I had never been home in less than 17 days. So, I got a job locally making decent pay which led to my current position.

My question to all of you wonderful posters I have been reading for over 2 years now is...........

What companies do you think I could get a decent amount of home time with? I have looked into a few companies I really am impressed by but am unsure if I meet their requirements or if they would be willing to work with me.

The companies I am currently discussing with my family are:

Maverick; Crete; WEL Companies; Southern Refrigerated Transport; and although I currently do not meet their requirements...Millis.

Also, I guess you would wonder where I plan on running away from those pesky hurricanes. I was thinking North/West Texas and maybe southern Colorado. But hey while I'm asking opinions...maybe ya'll could suggest a place to raise my family as well that I could look into. Im not too picky about where. About a week ago, we were discussing as far north as Wisconsin and Iowa.

Any kind of feedback ya'll can provide is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

It sounds like the Maverick drivers get home every weekend or every other weekend.

4. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    Yeah I like Maverick a lot but I am a little nervous as the most flatbedding Ive ever had to do was strapping down baled cardboard. Never had to tarp, haul anything different, or go to more than one customer.....but I would assume Maverick's training is very good. I just don't know if they cover all the bases like....how to take turns with split tandems or tarping in the wind. If anyone knows what all their training covers, please let me know.

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    As far as places to move, Wisconsin is fine as long as you stay with the smaller towns, and not the bigger cities or their suburbs.

6. thirteen

thirteen Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Texas
    I have a friend who lives in Adams. He likes it very much but he did warn me that it gets very very cold as I am used to a hot and humid climate. I am pretty sure I could get used to it though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.