Tired of leasing on

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nightgunner, Aug 31, 2017.

1. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I have a stamped 2290, and a secondary "ready to bind" bobtail/liability policy.

I bet dmv will ask for primary once I walk in there. Im ok with using the leasing Co insurance for the time being. Heck, things might work out well, and it's all good.

But...

What if it doesnt?

Will I end up with an invalid registration? Since primary insurance has been cancelled on my truck? Even if I buy my own plates?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    No, the plate will be good for a year regardless. Worst case you might have to give them proof of insurance from wherever you go. I've never heard of that happening in my home state. I don't think they care, as long as you have insurance when you purchase the plate.

nax Thanks this.
  4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm in VA and here if private/personal insurance is cancelled, and you don't return plates (personal) within 60days, u end up with sr-22 flag on your d/l.

This sr-22 is a bummer on insurance rates coz it implies u drove around without insurance, unless u prove otherwise.

It's guilty, until proven otherwise....lol

5. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    You don't need your mc to get your own plates, just a lease contract between you and the carrier you're leasing onto will get you your own plates at your local dmv.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.