Tires rolling when moving tandems while brakes engaged?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Nov 30, 2021.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    The trailer tires roll with the brakes locked and the tandems released to adjust what hole to be in.
    Do the tandem rails need grease? If so what kind?
    Something wrong with the brakes?
    What y'all think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  4. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Brakes are out of adjustment

5. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You can grease the rails that the tandems ride on. In your situation back up to a curb, make sure that you pull your trailer mud flaps out of the way. Back up against curb to slide your tandems forward. To slide them backwards, use wheel chocks. Any grease will work.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    That's what I'm thinking. I'm not used to automatic slack adjusters. I'm used to adjusting them myself. What do I look for when I'm inspecting them?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The same as non self adjusting. If they are out of adjustment, they need to be adjusted for the time being and then replaced.

8. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Release your breaks. Press as firmly as you can on your break pedal several times until you exhaust the air and the knobs pop out. Your breaks should now be properly adjusted.

If not, seek mechanical service.

Automatic adjusters go out of adjustment if you only ever lightly tap the breaks. They need hard breaking (preferably when the truck isn’t moving) in order to adjust themselves.

Brettj3876, tscottme, GYPSY65 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Checked and brakes are out of adjustment.
    I am a light touch on the brakes so I gave your suggestions a try, unfortunately the piston still had 2in+ of travel.

I'm going over to the shop at the FlyingJ to see how much it is for a new pod. Then clear it with the company for repairs.

Otherwise I'll manually adjust them and have the shop guy fix it Monday. I live in UT and the shop is in ID. I'll just need to hang out for the day.

If I manually adjust them should they be good for a day? Again I've never had problems with automatic adjusters before so I'm learning some new tricks. Thanks

beastr123 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Is a brake chamber leaking now? Some Shops won’t adjust slacks if they’re out. Only replace them. You found the problem. Another cause could be a broken parking brake spring on one or more of the 30/30 chambers. Trailers have a Teflon pad on the sliding rails. They get worn out. Graphite dry lube spray is good normally. If they’re worn, a shot of anything pb blaster. WD 40, or even Diesel fuel before sliding helps. Grease will just attract dirt and grime.. A curb or wheel chocks good. I usually Unlock it get it rolling and hit the trolly bar. Usually works.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    JustCallMeDriver and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.