Titanic replica will have maiden voyage in 2022

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Sep 28, 2019.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Generally steam tours are what I call happy places. On private property in some cases. And interfering with railroads is such a federal crime by and large. Strasburg comes to mind. As does Fort Wayne for another road. And towards Reading PA where there is a T1 still working coal when its not hauling people.

The UK is where steam thrives on the main, one winter when electric and desiel froze a few years ago they brought out the one fast steamer to rescue commuters on 110 mph service towards London.

Canada has several on the Trans Con. And so on.

I think it's safe to say the protestors would be hustled off property right quick. The black smoke is a sign of improper ventilation of the boiler system or extreme on the knees working. Once you get moving, air temperature and humidity aside it should be light white or white. That means the coal has the air it needs to burn through relatively clean. What is coming out is essentially a tea pot steam. Water. The minerals and ash left behind are dumped in two seperate processes and made useful to maintain the boiler in a clean condition inside.

Which makes the engines dependant on certain water sources. You cannot just throw water from whatever into the tender or dump coal etc. Our 814 in Pine Bluff likes motor oil, used or anything in that type of fluid that can be burnt. She has a history in her lifetime in hauling war freight between Tyler Texas and St Louis and into the Wabash Country in Illinois at 80+ leaving them sitting still. She runs kinda. But the UP owns the rails in that area and they dictate what can or cannot run. So she stays in the same shop that built her and rebuilt her several times since 1943.

mhyn and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Titanic - Built and crewed by experts.

The Ark - Built and crewed by amateurs with 0 ship building or sailing experience.

Which one would you rather have sailed on?

mjd4277 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The titanic was a colossal screw up when the Captain ordered speed ahead in a known ice field. There was also a powerful flaw in her construction as well. The water tight walls were not high enough all the way up. So the first section opened to the sea by the iceberg overflowed into the second section and so on until the Ship's engineered ability to carry thousands of tons of water as a safety measure was overcome and sunk she went.

Those great liners were in service for about 20 years or so, then pressed into wartime service carrying around thousands upon thousands at three to a hot bunk to France at speeds greater than the Unterseeboot.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It's not authentic then...ripoff if you ask me lol.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The question still remains.

buddyd157, x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it is the ark packed two by two in a gigantic aimless boredello with ten thousand stalls needing mucking etc its not for me.

Then again the Titanic with poobahs worth a billion sitting in first class waited on hand and foot while a couple thousand rot in steerage down below. Its not for me.

I guess I would drown. But I'll be happy.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, since the Titanic was real and the Ark was just a story.. I guess the only possible answer is the one that was actually built and not a fable.

10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Ark ? you mean Noah's Arc? if yes that Arc never existed. Mount Ararat with both peaks and surrounding areas was searched many many times. Nothing found there. Titanic was real.
    Biblical Mount Ararat from different sides.

ararat_2.gif Mount_Ararat_and_the_Araratian_plain_(cropped).jpg mount-ararat.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    There’s a reason why there haven’t been ships named the Titanic,Lusitania,Cap Arcona,Wilhelm Gustloff since then...

bzinger, mhyn, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.