TMC states OTR and Regional are the same thing and I'm confused

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sam3106, Apr 25, 2018.

1. sam3106

sam3106 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    I spoke to TMC and they stated that Regional and OTR are the same. I asked about OTR because after 2-3 years I would want to switch to a job where I can be home every single day and receive a nice paycheck. Of course this would be after my OTR time and alot of applications I've seen online want a year or two OTR experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    TMC's typical "home weekends" dispatch model assumes a "regional" operation to keep drivers close to home. If you wanted to roam further, you'd tell them "I want to stay out 2 or 3 weeks" and then other load options would be looked at, even well outside your home region. At least that's the way it used to be.

That said, TMC is really not a 48 state carrier. They just don't do much Rockies or west, regardless where your home is.

4. sam3106

Apr 22, 2018
    So if I do move on to another company after two years and during the two years I do 8 weeks out 4 days home during the two years...would I tell another company I had two years of OTR experience or Regional

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No. I think with TMC, you're entitled to say you ran OTR especially if you request to roam outside of your normal space from time to time. I counted my years there (long ago) as OTR, but I ran all but a handful of states while I was there. But typically I ran 4 or 5 states if I was home weekends.

6. sam3106

Apr 22, 2018
    So pretty much if another company ask to prove that I was OTR I would just state I was away from home most of the time

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think most consider 4-5 states or more as OTR. And if you're at TMC you're at least going to do that much even if you never request to stay out over the weekend ... unless you run their "Texas fleet" (if they even still have that)

Some places like to see winter weather driving experience, but it's generally not a deal breaker.

Oldironfan and sam3106 Thank this.
  8. hkchik

hkchik Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Hubby is currently out with a trainer - week 4 under way. We are based out of TX and he has gone to SC, VA, TN, MO, KS, MT, ID, NM, and TX for loads (probably a few other states I've forgotten). That seems OTR to me... HTH

Puppage and sam3106 Thank this.
  9. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you are on percentage pay at TMC you should probably do alright running regionally anyway. You’d be surprised how much shorter runs can pay.

10. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Tmc has a philosophy of getting drivers home weekly, to do that they try to avoid sending you out more than a 2 days drive from your home. More as Texan mentioned if you tell them you want to run 2 or 3 weeks or longer at a time, then they will send you out even farther, but the majority of their loads are loads that can be picked up and delivered the next day so basically 450 to 600mile runs.

Highway Sailor and sam3106 Thank this.
  11. sam3106

Apr 22, 2018
    Would it be around 4k after taxes a month?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.