TMC Texas Intra-state route

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Trendseeker, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Trendseeker

Trendseeker Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Cedar Park, TX
    Hi All,
    I saw TMC is hiring for Texas Intra-state drivers and wanted to know if this is a dedicated or regional route?

Terry, is this what you run or do you haul frames for a specific dedicated account?

I'm in north Austin, so that may work out for me, but I am hoping that ya"ll can give me some insight.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have not seen the add so I'm not sure which it is.

Texas Dedicated exist no more. It is now a southern regional route.

Rumor has it that the state of Texas came down on TMC and their Texas Dedicated for workers comp. or some other such nonsense. If you run exclusively, or primarily in Texas you have to meet certain requirements.

Unofficially, it still exist. It is hard work. You do the same loads over and over. Most drivers will take home about $1K each week. You may have to do some creative logging.

If you live at either end or in the middle of the routes, you may have the opportunity to go by the house freqently.

When I was hauling frames I was on the Peterbilt dedicated account. I am back on Line Haul now. Actually, it is a hybrid form of Line/Long Haul. When I choose to, I take longer runs out to CA, FL or where ever.

Austin is not necessarily the best place for freight. There is not a lot comming out. I have no problems getting freight inbound, outbound is another story. Other than the occasional chance of being sent home without a load late on some Friday, Austin is OK.

Trendseeker Thanks this.
  4. Trendseeker

Jul 22, 2008
    Cedar Park, TX
    Thanks Terry,
    It is posted on the TMC site under driver opportunities. It states that you haul from Houston to west Texas and back, but doesn't say dedicated, so I was curious. I am looking for long / line haul as well. I like the idea. Do you just tell them when you want to run long, or do they just give you whatever and you take it if you want to?

On another note, the other morning on my way to work I noticed a TMC 387 parked in front of the new BMC West facility in Cedar Park. I wanted to stop and chat, but the driver was in the bunk and I would have been late, so I didn't bother. Does TMC haul a lot for them?

How many TMC drivers would you guess are from this area?

What is considered your home terminal and how is your dispatch and FM?

I know, it's a barrage of questions, but you are obviously the one I need to be asking. I have read a lot of your posts on here and want to thank you for taking the time and interest. It really is helpful for people. I have gotten a lot from all of the drivers who post here. I appreciate ya.

Thanks again.

5. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You are welcome.

It is the shadow Texas Dedicated as I previously discussed. It doesn't exist, but it does.:biggrin_25523:

It certainly makes it more interesting. You have a different type of load every day, going to a different place. That is my greatest objection to a regional or dedicated route. The same load day in and day out. On the other hand your pay is consistant and you may get to go by the house more frequently.

Essentially, but it all depends on the loads available and how you work with your FM. If you make it know you want to be home every weekend no matter what, you will not get the longer runs. Communication is the key with opportunity thrown in.

I don't know. I have delivered to them a couple of time in Austin. Those loads were from shippers going to BMC West not BMC West as the shipper. I've delivered to Cashway's in Leander also. I deliver to Palm Harbor in Austin in a few. 7 miles from the house!

No idea, not many. Most of them are on "Texas Dedicated."

There is no such thing as a "home terminal." You can go by which ever is along the route. If you are required to stop at one, your FM will put you under a load that passes by the terminal. Ususally, you don't want to be directed to a terminal, it can be terminal!:biggrin_25512: Actually, there are many reasons to go by a terminal and almost all are not bad. Most of us avoid them nevertheless.

Yeah, I'm going to have to start charging by the pound!:biggrin_2559:

I'm glad someone figured that out!:biggrin_2555:

Not a problem, I'm happy to help. Are you in CDL school now? If so where are you attending?

6. Trendseeker

Jul 22, 2008
    Cedar Park, TX
    Hey Terry,
    Thanks for the reply. I have not started school yet. I have a job that I hate and it is getting worse, so I am looking at starting with ATDS in Waco pretty soon. I am researching and getting the logistics worked out. ACC has a CDL program, but it is full time and around 6K for 8 weeks, where ATDS is less than 5K with a hotel and 4 weeks. ATDS is really the only certified and "approved" course closer than Houston. There is a Roadmaster in San Antonio, but it costs more and is just as far away. When I started researching companies to drive for, I was leaning towards Crete, but Sue at ATDS told me to check into TMC and I am glad that she did. After researching a bit, I realized that skateboards were a better fit for me than vans and TMC seems to have their stuff together. As a vet and former firefighter I need a company with some pride and structure, unlike the outfit that I work for now. They are a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, but still operate like they are out of someones garage!? It is all about the money and ripping off the customer for every little dime, while they can't get their own stuff together and provide shoddy services. It is driving me crazy and they are constantly putting more workload on everyone with no incentive. We are just a number.

Wow, I digressed, but I sure feel better! Anyway, TMC tops my list and I respect you guys that go to bat for them. It really says something for how you are treated there. A lot of the driver's that I have seen just pile on to someone's rant or like to "stir the pot", but ya'll are right there to stand up for TMC, not to recruit, but just for pride and respect. Sounds like my kind of place.

I see some of these guys whine about having to wash their rigs, it makes me laugh. In the fire service, you wash and dry your rig every day and polish once a week. And it isn't just "your" rig, it is all of them in the station, so you have to work as a team to get it all done. Medic rigs are even worse, you have to scrub and decon every trip. It seems like most flatbedders don't mind helping out another driver and appreciate the help when they get it. I know, I haven't been out there, and I am not dilusional about a "perfect trucking world", but from what I've read, it just seems that I would be happier working with a flatbed. There are jerks everywhere, and I used to be the one to extract a lot of them from the wreckage, so if I am going to do this, then it will be with best company that fits for me.

Anyway, that's my perspective. Thanks again.

7. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I cannot tell you about ATDS in Waco. I did attend ACC's school. It was OK. At the time I attended, there was a lot of turnover going on. The chief instructor was fired for changing the curriculum without authorization causing students to fail their driving test with DPS. They had other instructors being hired and quitting and were unprofessional to say the least. Some of the students attending did not help the situation out either.

At the time, about 1.5 years ago, the tuition was $3,500. and it was only four weeks long. You might want to check to see if you have your facts right. I'm not saying it hasn't changed, but who knows.

A major advantage to attending a local school is sleeping in your own bed at night as well as not having to deal with the knuckleheads on a 24 hour basis.

I don't know what you mean by "approved" and "certified." The only approval and certification you have to worry about is what the company you will work for accepts. Call TMC and make sure ACC/International Schools is still on the approved list. I bet it is, one of the Texas Dedicated driver's wife is the administrator of the school.

You were in the Military, you know about that 10% My best advice is to avoid them like the plague. Associate with drivers that are succeeding and are happy. The whiners can whine to their hearts content.

8. EJ Too

EJ Too Bobtail Member

May 18, 2008
    Kinda by Leander, TX
    I gotta say a "Thank you Terry" for all he info you've given. Not just on TMC, but being a trucker in Central Texas.

One question, where do you park when home? Or, what's policy/guidelines you have to follow?

Oh, and another; do you think there's a particularily good or bad time of year to get into trucking?

And thanks Trendseeker for asking the same questions I had.

I'm getting ready to bail from my current job. I think ACC was a total of $3750.00 for the 4 weeks program. It's two 2-week classes, and misc fees that you pay all up front. That was as of about 2 months ago when I called them. Woman I spoke with said they basically have a class starting every other week. She said class size varied from 6-25. I'm trying to stay at my current job thru the end of the year since our open positions are "frozen" until then, I can't stand the CEO or director but don't want to short hand the rest of my department. But then again, after my sister's wedding in Oct, my callendar can open up real quick.

9. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    My family has a farm so I have a lot of space to park my truck at home.

Basically TMC allows you to park anywhere you have the owners written permision. If the truck gets towed away from where you park it without permission I think you will be responsible for the cost to get it out of impoundment.

I started in the fall just because that fit my schedule. I started orientation at TMC the first week of November. I got Thanksgiving week off at home before going out with a trainer. I also got some time at home for Christmas since my trainer also took that week off. Now I caution you that this might not work out for you, so if the holidays are important to you I suggest you start in January. Starting at that time of year you get to learn how to drive in the snow from a trainer, which I think is better than learning in the summer and then having no clue about snow.

10. 13MWZ

13MWZ Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Hey yall, I'm a Texan so naturaly this thread caught my eye. I'm lookin to get back into driving after a 4 year brake (2 of wich were spent overseas for Uncle Sam, 1 spent training for the deployments or the aftermath of returning home, and one as a mechanic) and TMC is at the top of my list. I just wanted to say howdy to the Texas drivers who might me lurking around. I live in Round Rock, it's cool to see locals here. I see a TMC truck parked by the Home Depot in Hutto now and then too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.