To Canadian Truckers!

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mrullah, Jan 26, 2022.

1. mrullah

mrullah Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2022
    Hello my fellow truckers,

I’m a new truck driver & I got some questions about how things work in our world.

First question that comes in mind, to anyone who has driven through the 401 between Toronto into Quebec, we’ve seen the accidents, tragic. But what does a driver do in that situation? If the truck ends up in the ditch, are you fired from your job? Anything happens to your license? How long does one wait to get help?

If anybody has any experience they would like to share, I would definitely appreciate it.

thank you truckers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    No idea.

You might be better off focusing on how to avoid being in that situation though.

Drive defensively. Don't get rushed. Space is time, keep out of the herd.

4. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Keep safe distance always and you’ll never end up in that situation. The idiots/organ donors are identified by how close they follow.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    You know its interesting the Canadian government are determined to make a driver regardless of his previous experience have to pay $8000 for tuition to learn what? They obviously don't teach a new driver anything about defensive driving do they? So always drive to the conditions, the posted speed limits are for ideal conditions, on some highways they do have rather large neon signs that flash messages and speed limits for driving in the ice and snow, so if there's fog with low visibility, reduce speed, if there's fresh snow reduce speed specially if you can't tell where the lanes are, always allow for safe braking distance from the vehicle in front of you, and keep a look out far ahead of you if you see brakes lit up in the distance this is a sure sign something is happening so start braking sooner rather than later this will help avoid running off the road or into other traffic.

Russell The Trucker Thanks this.
  6. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    OP how long you been stuck in that ditch? and has anyone come for help? remember there's 9-1-1
    Good sir, may I inquire as to which driving school have thou graduated from? I'd like to court this obviously esteemed academic institution in further assessment of who's balls need to get kicked in for letting you out of there with a license.

7. epza

epza Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2021
    If you were on slippery road and got a jackknife but your speed was in the safe range by your safety department ,you will not get fired unlees company send you a message to stop due bad weather.If you follow to close and got on accident your are automatically fired, the time of year doesn't matter .For small yard incidents there are usually 2,3 chances, depending also on how valuable and upset customer is :) There are more and more companies have On guard system monitoring following to close ,hard braking , stability control ,sensors to your steering wheel and trailer. Collecting many warnings on the system plus overspending 69 miles per hour ( company insurance policy ) usually downhill :) trucks are governed.
    Those points from my observation can get you fired .

8. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Nothing to say on this topic. Nobody will listen anyways.
    As to the waiting time in ditches: it depends on the weather situation. If there is bad weather and you're caller 499 on the wrecker's list, it can take a bit.
    Except part of your vehicle is hindering the traffic, authorities might put a priority on it.
    If the driver did a good job and is entirely off the road it can be a few days.

9. '88K100

Aug 23, 2020
    Walmart in Dryden put up huge NO TRUCKS and added more cement barriers….so last night a new Canadian walks over to Timmies where I’m in my botail, asks for a pull…he’s stuck in the back of Walmart…NOO dude,,,sign says NO TRUCKS
    Walmart got fed up with lot being so full their delivery trucks were impeded,,not to mention all the crap and garbage left behind in what was the truck parking/waiting area

Russell The Trucker and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  10. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    It’s unfortunate but I side with Wal-Mart on the decision to ban trucks in their lot in Dryden.

It was the source of a lot of trouble and liability. Aside from the trash and jugs left behind, trucks were hitting and running over things. Not too long ago I heard a pedestrian was struck by a semi there.

Anyone that follows that Skilled Truckers page has seen the kind of crap that was going on and how often.

dunchues, Magoo1968 and '88K100 Thank this.
  11. '88K100

Aug 23, 2020
    For whatever reason I can’t message Skilled trucker page or post…Friday midnight i left Dryden,,first truck in ditch at Dinorwic, second was English River and 3rd at Upsala on its side across from the XTR fuel/restaurant….the usual suspects of course.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.