To drive (with chains) or not to drive... that was the question

Discussion in 'Other News' started by 2BContinued, Dec 3, 2019.

1. 2BContinued

2BContinued Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2019
    North Carolina
    D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They can EFF themselves. ANY time a driver loses that much traction and consider chain there is already a safety problem. Swift is not known for a fleet of professionals or have a rep as such in this industsry.

These are the kind of blow hard boss messaging that pushes my buttons so bad. They can stuff it. My truck my decision. Their job is to advance or postpone appointment times.

They can afford to replace me on principle. They can F off with their directives that ignore the hazards and dangers of winter mountain driving in the west.

4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I'm not seeing the problem here I have driven through quite some snow never had a problem. Seems that the leader just worded the message not the best.

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So have I. You nailed it for sure. The message is worded very badly.

If I was a swift reading that, I would have taken a photo graph and waited for a conflict with the management in the first 3 feet of snow somewhere. Photo graph that date and time stamped on quitting.

If I was swift and needed drivers to get chains on to be on time... then instead of beating them over the skulls with a no out or no alternative order to throw chain or else I would have offered them a incentive to battle through it provided that they do that safely with no damage. A few extra dollars in their rations would prove motivating.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Lol driver leader probably get tired of drivers shutting down due to a couple flakes of snow.. Hes just looking out for himself as well trying to do his job . I can see both sides of it , but i would have to take the driver leaders side this time.

AModelCat, x1Heavy and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  8. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    My rule is of I cant drive 35mph or more on the interstate. And 20mph in town for a delivery. I dont waste my time or clock. I'm shutting down first chance I get. While getting paid by the mile it's just bot worth the pay cut and increased risk and stress.

If dispatch has a problem with it. That there problem I already made my decision.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Good thing some of the drivers weren’t in New Jersey when the CMV ban was in effect-they would’ve ended up like the driver that had the accident on 287 and got torn a new ##***** by the governor l!

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    If the weather/road conditions is bad enough to need to put chains on then maybe people shouldn’t be on the road driving. At Marten if we’re in a shutdown area they mean it. They’d rather have the driver,truck and cargo in one piece rather than sending a wrecker to clean up a mess somewhere! Plus we get inclement weather pay.

#whathappenedtocommonsense

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    lual Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.