To go independent or not

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Phoenix_rides_again, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Phoenix_rides_again

Phoenix_rides_again Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    A little bit of a backstory about me I got my CDL in 2007 and 2008 on December 6 two days before my birthday I was going around a blind curve when a car showed up on my lane. So I decided to take it off road instead of kill somebody. I didn’t take into account the ditch and I ended up all in the truck lost my job I had just changed jobs three months before that to the day. After that I tried getting back into driving for about a month when I was heading to look at a truck I was thinking about buying and my jeep got ran over by a roadway truck. I feared the industry for the next 10 years working crappy jobs. Two years ago I started driving local again now I drive local part-time and do factory maintenance the rest the time.

I’m sitting here thinking about buying my own truck. I’m thinking it might be a good idea to attach myself for the first six months to one of the big carriers and save a little bit of money to fill out the paperwork for my own authority. Or should I hit the ground running and go ahead and get my authority. I’ve been looking at Load Board trying to figure out what kind of driving I would do if I go independent. I’m currently thinking power only for a little while till I save up to buy a trailer or at least pay some down.

my overall goal is not to just have one truck but to build a fleet of trucks but I’m trying to decide what is the best first step for me.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Get your plan down on paper, look at hauling for carriers like Schneider or J B Hunt. Have several thousand dollars in reserve until the money starts flowing. Also Fed Ex Ground adds extra trucks during their busy season.

alds Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It's easier if you lease your truck going to another carrier for a while.

You should have less of an insurance cost and you have less paperwork and probably for most people its best are easiest to start that way as a stepping stone.

And depending on the company some people do better being leased on.

When you do go independent my advice to you would be to make certain you have a trailer. Whether you rent one or lease one or flat out buy one or however you do it power only is a difficult thing.

When you have a trailer you have so much more dexterity than power only.

feldsforever and zmster2033 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.