To go UPSF or not go UPSF, that is the question...

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by 207nomad, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 207nomad

207nomad Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I’ve been offered a P&D job with UPSF here in Maine. The pay is good, and will only get better, and the same with the benefits. I would have an inconsistent start time for a while until I gained seniority, but I would have weekends and holidays off which I do not have with my current company. The upside is tremendous, but sadly I’m comfortable where I’m at, but the thought of me staying here another 25 years before I retire makes my skin crawl. I’ve looked into hauling fuel, which pays well, but starting off I’d be working weekend nights and for someone who just got married it’s not something I’m that excited about.
    So, former and current UPSF drivers, what do you like the most about the job? Like the least? What are some things to be aware or cautious of? If I go to UPSF I plan on hunkering down for the next 25 years and retiring, and in this industry I don’t see many other outfits that can match the retirement offered by UPSF. I’m talking with the wife about it over the weekend, and calling them Monday with my decision.
    Thanks for the input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Go for it, think long term and not short term where u are just comfortable. They are known to be very anal and have lots of rules but I would jump on this if I were you.

Northeasterner and 207nomad Thank this.
  4. 207nomad

Jul 8, 2015
    I’m leaning towards it because I am thinking about 25 years from now, not next week. It’s going to be different for sure, but financially I can’t afford not to.

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  5. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Highest paid in the ltl business.

207nomad Thanks this.
  6. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I’ve alwyas heard UPSF is great once you get seniority. Here at the Indy barn, a lot of guys spend a lot of time sitting at home not working. Especially this time of year.

I personally can’t wait years and years for steady work so I stay where I’m at because it’s dependable.

This is what I hear from our upsf guy, anyways.

207nomad Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    benefits, pension, what's to think about?

futurenow, foggy and 207nomad Thank this.
  8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    There is always a shortage of p/d guys.

9. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sorry i have not posted here in a while; i forgot this forum section existed.

i will get back with you later today (or not) with more detail. i am very busy with other things.

Kennyworth67 and 207nomad Thank this.
  10. 207nomad

Jul 8, 2015
    I’m going to be giving my notice on Monday and will be accepting the job with UPSF. I can’t afford not to and if I don’t do it now, I’ll regret it later. Plus, the sooner I do it, the sooner I’ll reach seniority and reach top pay. If I pass on this opportunity but decide to apply later, I’ll only be farther behind where I would have been by taking this opportunity now.

11. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Sorry---don't got no time.
    1) Well organized (probably the most well organized that i've worked for) company. Believe it or not, very little BS when it comes to people acting professionally/courteously etc. UPS for the most part is company that does things the right way. UPS has massive presence and sales force, which means plenty of freight, which means job security......
    a) Fairly decent, steady pay with very competitive benefits. (no 401K match though)

2) M-F with weekends off and mostly daytime hours. (Of course if you go linehaul, it will mostly be at night).

3) Somewhat fun. Mostly dock stops, although there are quite a few inside deliveries, but these too are not that bad.

Dislikes:
    1) Too much rushing; Not good for physical or mental health and safety. Although it's getting better.

2) Volvo, although i'd admit they generally get the job done. However, i hear that we are done with Volvo and will only be going with KW and Liner from now on.

The main takeway though is that it all depends on your terminal; There is a massive difference between terminals.
    At my terminal, a new guy can and will make at least 50K the first year because the work is there.

darthanubis and 207nomad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.