To HazMat or not to HazMat?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Ken S LaTrans, Aug 12, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it could also be the costs associated with obtaining and keeping the hazmat endorsement..one has to be finger printed EACH time the CDL renewal comes up..in MY state, one MUST ALSO take the hazmat written test again, just cuz things may have changed, and that written test costs money...

simple enough test to take, go online and study for a bit..go to the DMV and pay the fee's, and take the test.

some drivers may feel that the extra CDL renewal costs for having hazmat, may not be of any benefit to them, for the time, and inconvenience of having it, and they may not even haul any hazmats as it is now.

since i work locally, it is easy for me during the day to go to my DMV and take the test, and go out for the finger printing...

but i do not appreciate the fact that the darned finger printing is done over, and over again.. for crying out loud, just keep or prints on file.....!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is an easy endorsement to get, get fingerprinted and then get a clearance letter in the mail, run down to the DMV to take a test and add it to your license. YOU don't have to take a road test, you don't have to have previous experience, you don't have to apprenticeship with a chemical company or hold a chemistry degree.

I ask for my drivers to have them not because we haul a lot of hazmat but that they may be needed to recover a load or two in their time here and I don't want to have to figure out who has what. PLUS because I usually reimburse for the renewal when it comes up, if they leave, they have one more thing to have in their job skills to sell themselves to another carrier with. I have a few who can't get one, that's a different story but I have interviewed people who when I asked about it, they seemed to be too lazy to bother with it in the past, even if they are paid for by the company.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The reason "I won't do hazmat" is so prevalent is because the people saying that don't know what they're talking about.
    I've pulled hazmat loads with reefer companies. A hazmat load might be a couple pallets of spray paint in a load of toys or a load of fingernail polish. I had hazmat endorsement my whole career and it's no big deal.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Not a clue.

When hauling it, you need to take some extra time, we're talking minutes, and verify that your paperwork is correct.

You must make sure the load is secured properly.

There are many restricted routes when hauling hazmat.

So many drivers are lazy would be my best guess to answer your question.

You can't bluff or BS your way through a DOT inspection with hazmat. It's either correct or it isn't.

You must pay attention to the road you're on.

In short you have to have your head in the game, not up your ###. That's a real challenge for many drivers.

6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I recommend getting all of the endorsements to new Calif drivers because its not as easy as just going down and taking the test to add it. To add one endorsement to your license you have to take all of the written tests again. Now that is a PITA. I am moving to Nevada again soon and I will hand their DMV my CDL and they will hand me a new Nevada one. None of this take all the tests again BS.

misterG and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Driving is all habits as well.

If you're in the habit of thrashing the truck around, thus thrashing the load, then you think you're going to land a good job, pulling expensive not to be thrashed merchandise, you're in for a big surprise.

Cause the old mega carrier, who cares habits, are going to raise their ugly head, and your good job is going to be short lived.

8. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2018
    One good thing...my background is golden. I have fingerprints on file with, literally, everyone from the feds to local, to DPS.

I plan to get it to have it, even if I never end up hauling anything more hazardous that toilet paper.

9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I enjoy pulling hazmat. Allows me to be demanding about the condition of tractor and trailer. If it's not at topnotch condition it's not moving. Simple as that. Nobody argues about replacing tires, driving straight to the dealership when trouble arrives or calling towing company. Safety first is not a hyperbole.

DeadPedalDreams and oldtrucker66 Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There are some people whose toughest part of the day is wiping their arse. They break a sweat and get cramps in their hands trying to wipe. That’s not you. So, keep that in mind when you read in this website.

11. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Haz-Mat ain't for everyone. I can remember guys that would flip the placards to keep from going around a city. Well that ain't smart, sometimes before entering the toll at the harbor tunnel in Baltimore. There would be an officer asking for your BOL. I could only imagine what all would happen for doing so.

misterG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.