To HazMat or not to HazMat?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Ken S LaTrans, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Drove for Brenntag for quite a while, all hazmat all the time, tankers and van. I've never had any issues other than being singled out by DOT because they do have to inspect so many hazmat carriers every month. That only happened a few times but, our branch transfer trailers would usually have around 7 placards on them so we were a big target. Going around some cities can be a pain but, nothing serious.

It's like anything really. Within Brenntag, you'd have guys that would run solvent tankers but not corrosive and vice versa. Some people have irrational fears.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2018
    That made me laugh. Thank for that.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Hazmat - Definitely Hazmat -

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You and your future co driver had an edge. Lots of people look into getting into trucking because they’ve never done tough labor and “trucking is just sitting there holding a steering wheel and anyone can do that.” They realize that trucking is tougher than it looks and got caught totally unprepared and so they hate the job, or anything more than setting the GPS and emptyheadedly (a new word!) following its directions.

That’s NOT you. To get into the higher end driving jobs, you’re going to need that hazmat endorsement. PERIOD. Consider it an an investment in yourself.

Luck in battle.

6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    For one thing, it can triple the period of license suspension for a first violation of several laws or result in greater civil or criminal penalties, including that which results from whatever maintenance issues fall squarely on your shoulders to detect, which can come up a lot.

Then shippers behave as if they don't know what they're shipping half the time, not providing placards, and don't have them on the premises, while loaders don't secure the hazmat, or may load incompatible materials, and it at least takes a while to go through the paperwork with a fine toothed comb, or perhaps find it in the trailer and awkwardly try to secure it afterwards, if you have the equipment to do that in the first place, or make them take it off the load, and try again next time. I suspect most of the time they get away with this, and the driver is assuming it will be okay, or it's just me, and they like to jerk me around at their own expense (but I still have the endorsement, because I know hazmat will end up on there anyway—that's so I'm qualified to tell them they screwed up, although I don't get a whole lot done that way, well at least I'm not in jail yet). I really don't do hazmat in that case.

Not to complain, I've seen the footage of tankers exploding and all, so be careful what you wish for (note to self).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I wish more drivers would not get Hazmat and tanker endorsements.

Jwhis and FredZeppelin77 Thank this.
  8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I had several police tell me the Gas haulers were held to a higher standard. This can be good and bad.

I did get red tagged at a scale house once for a crack in a weld underneath the tank that had a small drip. Told me I could not move the truck or I would be arrested. I told him that I would have to pump off to another tanker before the truck could be towed. He kindly told me to move the truck to our yard.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    .....lol

10. Jaybird53

Jaybird53 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Wow! Thats good to remember, thank you

11. Jaybird53

Jaybird53 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Thank you, thats a good word, indeed.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.