To Jake break or Not

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LabRat63, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I suppose strictly speaking, but considering the impetus for the inventor of the Jake brake was losing the brakes on Cajon, I think it is safe to say that safety was the driving force in Jake brakes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    And all this time i thought jakes was invented cuz they sound cool

4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    They were!

D.Tibbitt and PE_T Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I can see how a company driver who is governed would want to have the jakes on. Some mega companies like Stevens Transport will call their drivers if they are going about 5 mph past their governed speed on a downhill.

If you don’t have this problem, then it’s more fuel efficient to let the truck coast on downhills. If your jakes are on, they will activate once your speed goes over your set cruise control, therefore, defeating the fuel burned to move forward. Braking unnecessarily also costs you money. Now, if you drive at 70 or higher, then having your jakes on is probably not a bad idea.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    feldsforever Thanks this.
  6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Depends on where the switch is located and if the clutch deactivates them by pushing it slightly.. I like having them on but only if it’s easy to shut off quickly if needed AKA road conditions change quickly around a curve and it’s icy now.

7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Using jakes will affect your fuel economy. It won't increase fuel consumption while being used, but it will decrease mileage due to slowing down faster.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Running your engine brake all the time in general is a bad lazy habit, Noob's think shifting fast is a good idea, but these things are not Mustangs, there trucks. They are designed for transporting heavy loads not drag racings.

Engine brakes are for the purpose of maintaining speed more than stopping a truck. It should only be turned on when in use.

As a O/O you will find in the long run driving with it on all the time can cause transmission problems, and also degrade the quality of up and down shifting.

Just opinion.

booley Thanks this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’d rather spend my Saturdays drinking beer then adjusting/doing brakes, mine stays on when slowing down but I don’t use it upshifting

Chubby Fly and booley Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I leave mine off. It's the push of a button.

Bean Jr. and PE_T Thank this.
  11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    My jakes are on pretty much 100% of the time except in truck stops and shippers/receivers. Why? Jakes are free., brakes are not. Mine are muffled anyway so nobody cares.

Tb0n3 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.