To Scarecrow03 Regarding Decker Transport

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Truckerdoode, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Truckerdoode

Truckerdoode Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2007
    SmallTown, ILLinois
    Hey Scarecrow, you seem to be all over this website, and seem to know a lot about a lot of different things regarding the trucking industry......Since you worked for PAM, do you know anything about Decker Transport?

There is very little about Decker on this webite, and I'm fixen to make a decision to drive for them after going to their school, and I want to make sure I'm making a good decision with so many options to choose from.........I've been able to eliminate a lot of companies/schools because of what I've read about them on this site, but with very little info about Decker, it's hard to know.....From what I can tell, it seems to be a very good company to drive for.

Whatever info you can provide would be helpful, as I'm getting close to the point to where I have to make a decision.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    First off, sorry it took me so long to see this thread.

Secondly, thanks for the compliment.

Finally, I don't know a lot about Decker. I do feel you'll be going with a good start up company with any of PTSI's divisions. I drove for PAM and PDS and while there were some differences, the way I was treated was not one of them. This company is a good place to get your foot in the door. I know a few guys who started with the company and are still with them many years later. One guy just got his big diamond put in his 10 year safety ring. Another feller has been with AFS (Allen Freight Services, which is another of PTSI's divisions) since he and I graduated from the same trucking school in the same class back in July of '03.

I know that Decker has different freight than PAM does, but that's typical with the different divisions. Decker hauls a lot for MTD, the lawnmower company. There might be some opportunities for a dedicated run with this customer if you live in the right area. I'm not sure what the right area is, and I see you're from IL so I'd just say you'll have to ask someone with the company.

Hope this helps, and once again, sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

4. Truckerdoode

Truckerdoode Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2007
    SmallTown, ILLinois
    Thanks Scarecrow for the info........However, I've decided to go to the truck driver school at our community college.........This way I will have an opportunity to drive for many different companies, including those that are headquartered close to home.......I also have a friend who is an owner/operator, and since I have a Class A permit, he has offered to take me on the road for a week to give me some experience.....That should help prepare me for the school.

5. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    Truckerdoodle…Decker is very similar to PAM but more of your freight will be east coast. For example, with PAM you’ll run a lot in Texas, but Decker drivers will be mainly east of Memphis. This isn’t always the case, but a generalization. My cousin drives for Decker and seems to like them a lot.

IMO, Decker is better than PAM for 2 reasons.

• You get home a little more often. You will be out 10 to 14 at a time instead of 14. I know this isn’t a big difference, but for some people it matters.
    • Decker drivers tend to get more miles than PAM drivers. Again, the difference is small but expect 2600-2700 miles per week with Decker and about 2500 with PAM.
    The benefits are exactly the same as PAM, and a lot of times you’ll be pulling a PAM trailer, but I do think Decker is THE BEST PTSI division. The other divisions are Choctaw Express (Oklahoma City), Allen Freight (Jacksonville, FL), PDS (Warren, OH) and of course PAM (Tontitown, AR.)

Hope this helps.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Are we talking about Decker the flatbed company out of eastern IA?

7. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    Nope…Decker Transport Co. out of NJ. They are owned by PTSI(the owner of PAM).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.