To the guys with the giant condos....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Soltaker, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Soltaker

Soltaker Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Deer Park, WI
    Maybe morbid curiosity. Or daydreaming. Or just being bored on a Saturday.....

Generally asking...how do you do it?

I've seen condos pulling pretty much all types of trailers. But in looking into the trucks, they weigh anywhere from 23,000 to nearly 30,000 before ever hooking a wagon. The weight of a particular load is dramatically affected by the empty truck and trailer weight. So again, how do you do it? Is a split axle 48' reefer the best bet? I see a lot of bed buggers running big sleepers, but that work is not for me.

Another ponder...if you are not on a dedicated account, or need to tap into the spot market to make it to a better load, what can be done to try and prevent booking a load from a customer that's in an area where a big condo has no business being in? I've always been under the impression that brokers will not give physical addresses of their customers, only the cities they are in until you book the load. So things like doing a little recon work via Google Satellite or making some phone calls isn't an option. How do you book a load with the confidence you can get in and out? A 300"+ wheelbase plus the trailer you're dragging seems like it would be more of a pain in the arse than it's worth...but yet there are used units with mileages that would average out to 150,000/year. So it's not like they are always sitting. They are rolling like everyone else.

I highly doubt I will ever buy one. I can see a bunch of upsides, but also a helluva lot of downsides. I'm just genuinely interested in how practical or impractical owning and running one can be. It would make a great option if my wife were to ever yeet me out of the house hahaha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I've wondered the same thing.
    Maybe @blairandgretchen can school us.

4. kros

kros Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Indiana
    Who cares about business when you have a hot tub.:D

5. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Who are these guys with giant condoms?

6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I think you might have misread it.....
    Reminds me Roseanna Danna.....Never mind...lol

BennysPennys, Numb, LoneRanger and 7 others Thank this.
  7. The Green Mountain

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Or that song by Skid Row - "18 and I'm retarded. 18 & life to go."

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I don't know much about these guys & these trucks but as I understand it, for the most part, they're usually contracted to a specific company for a specific lane. They probably have run this lane for quite a while & finally got financially stable enough personally & in his contract that he could afford a rig like this.

I seriously doubt anyone with a rig like this is going from broker to broker or load to load. He's secure in a situation where he knows it will work & will work for a long time.

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    That would be me! Right over here!! Come on ladies.

10. The Green Mountain

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Lucky son of a.......

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    A lot of them do shows. Spending a lot of time sitting for days, till it’s time to move on. Same with bedbuggers. Makes sense to have a big house out back. My Trucks a factory Classic 84” bunk, 285 wb. Weighs 19200 w/half tanks. Have always been able to bump any dock. Sometimes takes a few minutes, but isn’t a problem. 300” wb would be possible. 325? Maybe not. I’ll never know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.