To The Newbies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jokers_Wild, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jokers_Wild

Jokers_Wild Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Alot of times the Newbie Trucker catches alot of crap on the road, Mainly because of their attitude. The one thing trucking schools do not teach you are Common Curtosy assuming you already have some, However in the trucking world it may not be so obvious on what common curtosy is.

The Number one complaing is parking on the Fuel Island and trashing around inside the truck stop, If you are going to be more than 5 min ( Coffee or a quick Toilet Break ) find a parking hole, We have seen people parked on the fuel Island and sitting in the Truck Stop Restaraunt eating and YES even a few that will take a shower and leave their truck on the fuel Island. There are others that need to fuel and get down the road it is just common sense.

Speeding in the Truck Stop parking lots are another one just because you may have a slow truck is no reason to show people how fast you can drive in the parking lot, It is just not stupid it is dangerous, If a driver walks out from between trailers while you are coming around a corner and you hit that driver, You will go to Jail, Drivers now days are going to Jail for accedents in extreme cases where a death happens they are being charged with man slaughter.

When someone is attempying to back into a hole and you are facing then TURN OFF your headlights, It is common curtosy so thay can back up without being blinded.

When some one passes you on the road, DO NOT FLASH YOUR BRIGHTS, The common practice is to shut off your lights and back on to let them know they are clear. If you do not want to flash your lights off and on then DO NOT USE YOUR BRIGHTS this practice will Pee a Experienced driver off quicker than anything.

I know you have seen things as simple as saying good morning and holding a door for a fellow driver, I do it everyday.

These are just a few
    :smilebox:
    All I am saying is think of your actions before you do it, Listen and you will learn alot

Rev. Paul R.
    Schneider Owner Operator
    Amateur Radio Operator AG9R

Bumpy and picaso Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    good post. i totally agree with what you say here.

4. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    I agree, I grew up in the trucking industry so I learned a lot of this stuff from my dad as a kid, but not every new driver had the same kind of upbringing that I had so they really wouldn't have a clue about these things.

5. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    this could end up being a VERY informative thread. for us newbie drivers!

any other of you other experienced guys have stuff to add?

6. craigblock

craigblock Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2007
    cinnaminson,nj
    thanks for the advice,i hope that the other experinced drivers give us newbies some advice we could always use it,you can never learn to much

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  7. Driven2drive

Driven2drive Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ogden, Utah
    Good advice. Actually, Greyhound training did cover such things as common courtesy on the road to other drivers and the general public at large.

8. Keith48

Keith48 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I am still in CTD school, but those things are obvious even to me. Seems common courtesy is hard to find these days. The Golden Rule still applies...

9. asphaltcowboy762

asphaltcowboy762 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Virginia
    You have hit the nail on the head directly there Rev. I started driving in 1973 and common courtesy seems to be going out the window. I can remember when we use to run without CB's and we use to flash our lights when we seen a bear somewhere. Now, you can't get another driver to report a bear on the CB. When I go down the road in my four wheeler and a rig passes me and I flash my lights at the driver to come back over, 8 out of 10 times the driver won't flick his markers or 4 ways back at me. I use to think maybe it is because I am in my four wheeler, but huh it even happens when I am in a big truck. So come on you new drivers, let's make truck driving as enjoyable today as it was 30 years ago. Oh, one more thing. talk on the CB as if you were talking to your wife or your parents. Well, maybe better yet, your preacher. I've heard how some, not all, of these younger people talk to their parents and spouse. Okay ya'll have a safe trip no matter where you go.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  10. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
  11. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    Good POST i am a newbie myself, but thats just commen sense , but i know there are a few(dozen thousand:laughing9: ) drivers who do not respect others.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.