to the wife out there?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thedotsonwife, Feb 23, 2007.

1. crazytxgirl5

crazytxgirl5 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2007
    my husband just started trucking about 3 months ago and well the first time he came home my 2 year old son was coming back from being with his grandparents and aunt all day when his aunt told him look daddys home and my 2 years old got a dumbfounded look on his face like where has this guy been but he was so happy to see him and loved looking around his "big truck" it was the best thing in the workd to him now everytime daddy comes home he brings a "big truck" from a different state with him needless to say my son is starting a collection now as for my 1 month old its always hard to take care on a newborn and a 2 year old by myself but someones gotta bring in the pay check so all the new truckers wife hang in the i know it has to get better daddy always comes home when he can

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thedotsonwife

thedotsonwife Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2007
    i think owr marrige is strong for him to go out on the road. I trust him that he wont cheat on me or anything like that. But lastly things are getting harder and harder here, because i am the only one working and he is at home with the kids. Know that he is going on monday to do the cdl class and then leaving 2 days after he gets done with that. Things are going to get harder and harder at first but i hope that it will get easyer. I just hope that we as husband and wife can handle it because he will be gone for about 3-6 weeks before he will be albe to come home again. Then after he gets his own truck then every 3 weeks he will be home for about 4 day. The hardest is going to be on the kids. So who know what we are going to do. if any one know anything eals that i can do with the kids please let me know... thank you :love1:

4. Keith48

Keith48 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I have been searching for this setup and cannot find it anywhere. Can you tell me what brand camera you have? I would love this setup for my truck since I have a good internet card. Also, do they use IM to control it or what? Thanks in advance.

5. CHahase

CHahase Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Colorado
    Hello
    I saw your note and wanted to let you know that your not alone and you are off to a great start by coming to this site to ask questions and get the support you need.
    My Husband went into OTR trucking as a result of no work in his field and has had other family members in trucking. We have a now 7 year old son and it is tough but we have through trial and error learned a few things. First of all invest in a family cell phone plan, get a phone with camera, audio and video. This has not only helped my son feel closer to dad but also dad a still big part of the family. We talk each day and our son tells his dad good night each night, Evan (our son) reads to dad and we have a USA map up on the wall where we see where dad is at and going.
    The one thing I have learned is that delivery times can change, as do routes so until you know dad is pulling into your town or driveway it is best not to announce daddy will be home on such and such day. That is really hard on the kids. Once your hubby is home family time is great but it is also important to spend time alone togther. So we make arrangements to have my son stay the night with grandma and also make time for a date between Dad and Evan, that way there is something special for the child too. I know your children are much younger but at that age they will not hold it against either one of you for much needed time alone.
    Lastly the one thing that got me though this big change was to utilize support here and on a site that is for truckers wives. Between the two it has helped so much. Hang in there and feel free to drop me a note anytime.

6. Teamdotson

Teamdotson Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Bridgman, MI
    well things are getting even harder, because right know he is in his 3 week of trucking school. fun fun, That is all that he is talking about and to tell you the truth i am so sick and tired of hearing about trucking. Well this is the last week of trucking school here in michigan, and he will be leaving on the 25 to go to SMX, in fort dodge IA he will be going there for 2 weeks and then out on the road.
    If anyone knows anything about SMX please let me know. I know that he will be driveing the flat beds so if you have things that could help me understand things company a little better please tell me. I don't wont him to take a bad company then have to stay with them for ever....:biggrin_25526:

7. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    teamdotson:....LOL, dont get tired of hearing all the trucking talk, enjoy it, learn from it and get used to it......:yes2557: pretty soon you will be doing the same thing as you drive down the road, have coffee with girlfriends it just slips into your conversations...its part of the life.

8. thedotsonwife

thedotsonwife Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2007
    hay wife's how did you guys do it i am having a had time and he has only been gone 2 hours. I can't stop crying and i wont him home but i know this is good for owr family. I know we are having money problems know and with him out on the road this will help us. Well if there is any wifes that know what i should do let me know. I can tell you this he will not be home from traning with smx for a month to a month and a half. :biggrin_25513:

9. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    The first few times they go out it is HARD, you HAVE to make the best of it, dont sit inside and feel bad. Get outside do some physical work so you get tired, take a hot shower and go to bed. Stay busy, clean clean clean! My house is always cleaned when hubby leaves and while he is out but once he hits the door the sweeper gets a break for 2 days...cuz I wanna spend time with him.

The more you think about missing him, how long he will be gone and all that the harder you make it on yourself. He is doing his part by taking on this type of career/lifestyle. As a truckers wife you have to do your part and be "strong" while he is gone. Find a hobby, go for a walk, pull weeds, get a OLD toothbrush and clean the bathroom, do things he will notice when he comes home. A truckers wife is strong enough to do it all while he is away and support him out on the road too., WE ARE A UNIQUE BREED OF WOMAN.

10. Oddones

Oddones Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Has anyone taken their family with them? My husband used to do long haul and I would go with him but when I got pregnant with our daughter he got a local job. Now he wants to do a few over-night trips on the weekends and have my daughter and I go with him. Not sure how that works though...

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    my younger sister was raised in a truck the first 3 years of her life. t sucks but can be done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.