to the wife out there?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thedotsonwife, Feb 23, 2007.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    With an attitude like that all I can say is good luck. WHy don't you try suporting him and being happy he is happy. Nothing makes a guy more unhappy than being out of work and not able to support his family.
    Your kids are too young for this to be a concern. Seems to me you are using them to express your feelings.
    DOn't mean to be overly harsh, just slightly so but I have been in this industry for a long time. Grew up in it and have seen it more times than I care to remember.
    You say he's at home, money is bad. which I know means you are figting. I'm there myself right now, nothing makes a marriage a living hell like money problems. He is excited to be able to get out and support his family. If you continue with the way you are acting he will grow to resent it feeling like he can't win either way and t won't turn out good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Keith48

Keith48 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I would say that if my wife made it where all I heard was her whining when I called or all she ever did was complain when I called to check in, it would not be fun to come home and have to deal with that after having to deal with all the stress associated with working full-time. The best thing you can do is get your mind off of how sad you are and stop feeling sorry for yourself and make the most of every minute you have with him. When he calls in, be chipper and happy to hear from him. Tell him your plans for when he comes home. And when he comes home, make him feel like a MAN. :)

Speaking from a man's perspective and a father's, as well, we know that we are doing the right thing when we provide for our families and getting out on the road and being away from your wife and kids is very hard, but we know that we have to make sacrifices. It is part of being a man. And being made to feel like "the man" when you are home makes it easier for us to work as hard as we can to provide for our families the best that we can. It certainly makes a man feel like he is appreciated and loved and it makes a stronger desire to get home and gives him something to look forward to. If all he has to look forward to is whining about "poor little old me," he might just find another load to haul instead of coming home to hear that. I know I would! But if he heard that he is missed and you are going to show him how much you love him when he gets home, he won't be hanging around any truckstops on the home from his break. It will be HAMMER DOWN!

I would recommend two great books by Dr. Laura Schlesinger. "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" and "The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage." They absolutely changed our marriage for the better. Next week is our 11 year anniversary and I LOVE MY WIFE and would do it all over again if I had the choice!

I hope this helps you understand some of where your husband is coming from. Thank God you have a man that is willing to provide for his family even though it pains him to be away - a lot of women don't have that. Show him that you can handle it and that everything is hunky-dory on the homefront. It will make his being away easier to cope with. And stop being so selfish!! (a little tough love there! :biggrin_25525: ) :biggrin_25515:

4. thedotsonwife

thedotsonwife Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Well He was not gone 22 hours and he was going to walk home if I diden't come and get him so I went all the was to Iowa and I picked him up. He was not happy and he did not wont to be there. And are kids would not eat or sleep or anything so if you just know what us wife's go throught then you would not be telling me how I should feel. It was the frist time that he was gone and I never told him to come home and I never cryed or anything on the phone to tell him to come home. I told my husband to go and do what he would like to do and I will always be there for him. So I am 100% behind my husband on anything that he dose. Know he is with a clouser company Nick Strimbu and when I DROVE HIM UP THERE IT WAS NOT BAD. He happy and so am I. We don't really fight or anything like that about money so I don't know where you are comming from. So thank you for everything but we are fine.:biggrin_25519:

5. Oddones

Oddones Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Glad you are doing better. It is hard. My hubby used to be OTR 4 days at a time but when I got pregnant withour daughter he switched to a local company so he could be home every night. Now he's back OTR every weekend so we can pay off some debt and I find it hard being at home alone with a 3 month old and him gone but you gotta do what you gotta do and I know a lot of wives have it a lot worse than me so I count my blessings that he is able to be at home every night during the week (although for any of you that read my previous posts I am unhappy to say that his company changed their mind and will not allow us to bring our daughter (liability) so I can't go with him as earlier planned. :biggrin_25516:

6. truckerswife11

truckerswife11 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    Here we are a time when those of us not on the road with our spouses or significant other, we keep ourselves busy and occupied even though that thought we are thinking is Lord please get my spouse home safely. The holidays are tough for all of us.
    I sit here praying my hubby makes it through this bad winter storm that just hit the northwest. I know he is sitting at a restarea with only 4 inches of snow headed for Cabbage. Storm front will hit him hard. Ya know when Portland tells all vehicles to chain up its bad. Then of course once he does head for homebase, here we have 18inches of snow when all we normally get in winter is lots of rain.
    Its tough out there our spouses are out there for us. Holidays are tough for them as well as ourselves. Don't forget to tell them I love ya Guy or Gal. Let them know you appreciate them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.