To work or not

Discussion in 'CRST' started by judith1962, Oct 10, 2009.

1. judith1962

judith1962 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2009
    northern illinois
    Okay here goes...... I can't wait for the responses I might get to this....

I am suppose to go to orientation soon.... I have a dilemna.... I will make more money collecting unemployment then working for about 6 months....With Obama giving out extentions for benefits, I can collect for another 13 weeks.... then again maybe 26 more weeks...

Working I will loose about $100.00 PER WEEK:biggrin_25512:and be driving all over the country....away from my family... So what do you all think????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC

You answered your own question.
    Can you change your start date for orientation?

Best of luck with your success!!!

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    You must be doing better than me on unemployment.
    I only get about 440 a week. Granted I have a ton of time left with all the extentions. But I said heck with it. I am not waiting for my call back anymore. If I hit the 6 month mark not driveing it will hut too bad, and close too many doors.
    Good luck with your choice.

5. judith1962

Sep 28, 2009
    northern illinois
    No orientation is set.... I have to have a job within 60 days of graduating in order to be considered a student....The longer i wait the harder it will be to get a job....So, in the long range this is not an easy question if I want to drive trucks.... I have applieed at every local place I can find to stay home.... Most want 1 TO 2 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE...So I am stuck # over the road....

6. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your gonna be away from your family and driving all over the country either now or later if you wait you get all summer driving EXP if you go now you get winter and summer driving EXP and you get time under your belt so you can look for a local run that much sooner

judith1962 Thanks this.
  7. judith1962

Sep 28, 2009
    northern illinois
    There is one advantage of getting winter experience.... My goal is if I stay in trucking I will want to become a trainer..... or recruiter... I agree i will have to bite the bullet at some point.... I am not looking forward to .22cpm to start... It is a job and I can make it an adventure.. Thanks and keep the replies coming...

8. ccolvin

ccolvin Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Taft, Ca
    as long as you run hard and are always on time your pay will go up. I heard some people collect unemployment to compensate for the low wages. Its fun to get out there and see other places. Some are awesome and some just plain suck lol. If I get back on with CRST Im gonna train my friend who will then be my co-driver. So Im hoping he does good as far as driving goes lol. If you have any questions just ask I will try my best to answer them!

9. judith1962

Sep 28, 2009
    northern illinois
    I have lots of questions.....Why did you leave CRST ?

10. ccolvin

ccolvin Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Taft, Ca
    lol i knew that question was coming up. I quit CRST do to the fact that my outcome was more than my income at the time. Now that my bills have been reduced by $450/month due to me getting rid of a car I can afford to go out on the road. not saying crst didnt pay well. I just ate out more than I should. I advise that you carry food on the truck.

11. judith1962

Sep 28, 2009
    northern illinois
    Since I am driving to orientation I am taking a cooler to help save money.. What did you do in the mean time for a job... Did you still drive,?

Even in training did you drive like a team and run or did they take it easy on you? I need to drive miles if they are only paying me .22cpm...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.