Too late to get chains, what can i pour down for traction?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Powell-Peralta, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    It's probably too late to get chains. What can i pour/put down for traction?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    you on ice or snow?

I've heard some drivers say rubbing alcohol, sand, cat litter hope that helps

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Any alcohol will melt ice.

If you haven't got chains and find out that you require some, get em! Otherwise, stay at a TS and get yourself an alcoholic beverage on ice until the road gets better.

bentstrider83 and TheDudeAbides Thank this.
  5. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    Cash will work for the tow truck.

6. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    go to a food warehouse or Sam's club, or wally-world and buy the biggest bag of kitty litter. it never freezes.......then use maybe an old coffee can to scoop it up and throw it under your tires....

7. Powell-Peralta

Jul 17, 2007
    Let's say both.
    Mainly i'm concerned about loading dock areas and parking lots---we do alot of retail and shopping malls of course will clear out the parking lots, but they don't seem to care about the truck drivers? Hence the loading areas are most often not plowed.

No jokes please. Thanks.

8. twolane

twolane Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Arizona
    CLOROX BLEACH makes tires stick a little but is only good when ya have some,,,and yer only trying to move a few inches. Cat litter mentioned above works for the same reasons.
    Theres no replacement for a set of cable-chains IMO.

FYI,,,when your driving down the road even when it's COLD, your tires are warmer than the ice. When you stop on ice, they melt little troughs in the ice. When you try to move you may find that you are stuck on flat ground. The cat litter/bleach may help you "un-track" and get moving, but won't do a thing for you once ya get moving. Chains will.
    Luck!
    R.

EDIT...when you come into a t/s or whatever and you are on ice,,,drive a few/several "laps" around the lot and let the tires cool down to the temp. of the surface before you park. This way you won't be stuck. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    BNR32 Thanks this.
  9. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    No joke. You were asking about chains a month ago..............

10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    GO BUY SOME FRICKEN CHAINS IF YOUR GONNA RUN THE NORTHWEST........

You can buy them online, in a truck stop, in a dealership, & in truck parts store. Hell, you could probably find them in truck salvage yards as well.

JohnP3 and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. Powell-Peralta

Jul 17, 2007

Alright, i meant it's a little too late to buy chains---because we don't get much snow AND i don't want to spend that kind of money if we're only going to get maybe 2-3 more "bad" storms. FYI yesterdays "northeast blizzard" netted us 1" and it was all gone by noon today.

Plus, i'm willing to bet this season i'll only be dealing with parking lots/loading dock problems, but the highways will be ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.