Too Many Trucking Jobs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Thull, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Hey guys! Long time no hear. Quick question...Does having Too many Trucking jobs affect your chances getting hired? Say a driver has no tickets or accidents, clear record but works a new job every 6 months to a year. Would that affect their chances of being hired? I’m not referring to myself but I am curious as I’m trying to keep my job count on the low end if possible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I’ve had 5 in 2.5 years 3 of which hired me back after I quit..

The one I’m with now and staying with until retirement, rehired me.

Hope that answers your question.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes.

Ive had 50 kinds of work in my lifetime. Some not part of the work record for a variety of reasons. Not all trucking.

The main thing is not to get burned out or run into the ground by Dispatch. IF you have a problem with the Company, or anyone related to you and your ability to drive a truck and not be mad... (OR worse angry...) you need to find the right person and talk quietly to that person with the power to fix the problem. Just be very sure that YOU are not eliminated as the source of the Company problem.

In today's world it's more difficult in some ways due to the to the minute recording of ELD. Just be mindful of what you are doing. If you are happy then stay there. Don't be trying to skip jobs. Its all the same more or less.

Texas_hwy_287, Thull and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Do your best to research and remain happy for 2 years with your choice.

Job frequency does play a part - in many areas of life.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    I’ve never stayed at the same job longer than 2 years, 8 months. I’ve worked for one company twice, another 3 times. Has it really hurt me? Yes and no. I’ve never had problems with people wanting to hire me. However, I do believe it cost me a job once or twice applying at a good LTL company.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Some of my work was a few months, a few was more than three years... and so on. A couple I recall one was 10 minutes and another was on sight when I realized the magnitude of the BS Im about to walk into. (I was at a trucking company and walked through their dispatch. The profanity and langauge yelled into 6 telephones by 6 dispatchers standing over their desks bent over with red faces in emotion etc. I kept going, found my own way home.

I actually learned some new words in there in 30 seconds. It's amazing. Not something I want to be a part of. And there were a couple that lasted for a reasonably short time but not for employer or me. No problems. Two jobs are lifetime. I can walk into one truck fire it up right now at 6 am and get to loaded. OR 30 years from now. Licensing is just a formality as this is a farm we are dealing with. It's nice to have friends.

But the one work is my personal favorite related to Medicine, high dollar loads going to distributions in cities that have hospitals with sick people that will be taking those in needles that morning after delivery. 9-11 was probably a form of war in that kind of need for NYC in that area. So it was a nice finish for the GWB for us. We crossed that bridge one way or another most of my life. Everything up to the NE nothing out. (Very little.)

Thull Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Let's answer a simple question.

As a company owner, why would I put out the money to hire a driver when, by past experience, he will no longer be with the company in 6 months? Plus in 6 months I have to spend the time to do it again...

Lepton1, bzinger, magoo68 and 8 others Thank this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Having more than X jobs in Z years can hurt you with SOME companies. Nobody is not-hired for getting too much experience at a company. X & Z vary by company withh that policy.

11. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    They claim it will hurt you but the way companies are hurting for drivers now really doesn't matter.

bzinger, Concorde and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.