Too much oil can be bad too?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Aug 8, 2020.

1. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Compressibility factors of most oils depending on temperature will cause seals to blow out causing a lot of expensive issues. Better to drain some out if over full before you even attempt to start engine.

Jdm5jdm5 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Half a gallon extra in a sump that holds about 10 gallons is really nothing to lose sleep about. Its more than likely not going to hurt a thing. Just don't make a habit out of it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    TallJoe, Isafarmboy, 650cat425 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    As mentioned above. Up to a quarter inch over the line isnt bad. Yet to me it is easier to stop it shy (below) the line. Cars and pickups to lawn mowers will be more sensitive as they have a smaller crank case. Yet it should be noted. Dont make it a habit to over fill the crank case. In this situation more is not better. Being shy of full is better.

TallJoe, 650cat425, Lonesome and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I’ve always run my c15 2 quarts high.....

800k on the first one , 600k on this one never had a problem.....

Every thing else I run right on the full line.....

I’d just run it....

6. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    "Cavitation", is the term I've heard when too much oil in crankcase is causing a weird shake or vibration in engine. Years ago a T/A tech put way too much oil in a DD15 I was driving causing this shake. Turns out there was 13 1/2 gallons put in and it only needed 11 gallons to fill.
    I was told there would have been damage to engine as well as seal leaks if I continued to drive it like that.
    "Piston slap" is another term I've heard to describe the same thing.

Jdm5jdm5 Thanks this.
  7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    This. Often called Crank Slap.
    Aerated oil provides less than adequate lubrication of all wear surfaces.

Lonesome and Jdm5jdm5 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Op, you're fine.

Keep it in the middle, check daily and add a little at a time, wait a couple minutes and check the level.

As for the words hydrolock, cavitation are not about overfilling, crank slap is.

Hydrolock happens in the cylinder, it is any liquid getting in there and preventing the the piston from traveling up.

Cavitation happens when there is a vacuum on a surface with a liquid and it creates bubbles because the vaccine pulls air out of the liquid and airates the liquid. This happens a lot with hydraulic pumps where the suction doesn't provide enough oil to the pump.

Crank slap is an old term used when the oil is too high and it actually throws the oil around and airates it. This is different from what is called crank dippers which provide oil to the crank and onto the pistons by splash lubricator.

650cat425, Jdm5jdm5 and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. truckguy391

truckguy391 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Around
    Don’t worry about it. You might have overfilled a little bit but if you’re having to add oil you’ve got either an oil leak (probably a small one) or you’re burning some oil or both. Either way it’s not the end of the world. In either of those cases the “excess” will either burn off or leak out. Then when it’s low again just add more. I’ve driven many trucks where I’ve put just a little bit too much oil in and nothing bad happened.

650cat425 and Jdm5jdm5 Thank this.
  10. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Hydro lock from oil happens when somebody adds it in the wrong place like rocker cover and the valve seals let some through to the cylinder

Jdm5jdm5 Thanks this.
  11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    When adding oil, put some in, check the stick. If it needs more, add more until you reach the full mark. If you go over a little, meaning a few quarts your ok. If you were to over a gallon, you run the risk of weakening seals which will cause premature failure or blowing out seals. Same if you overfilled you personal vehicle.

Jdm5jdm5 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.