Took my CDL-A Road Test

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by femalecdla, Feb 19, 2018.

1. intrepidor

intrepidor Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Western Iowa

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. intrepidor

intrepidor Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Western Iowa
    Relax is key. Just make it a rhythm
    Know of a guy in Council Bluffs who took the test 4 times.. the last failure was because he up shifted as he was making a turn.

4. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I remember when they claimed staying in gear when slowing down was called being in control of your vehicle, technically. I still think that the brake keeps me in control of the vehicle. I downshift four gears sometimes. I would have failed the DOT test, no doubt.

Now, backing, don't get me started. The DOT test doesn't even begin to, or wait a second, it just begins to introduce you to the BASIC CONCEPT OF BACKING. Pass it with flying colors, you've learned elementary mathematics. Hopefully you can learn Algebra on the fly. When precalculus pops in, just remember graphs, and when the hardest stuff comes up, well, pass or fail.

I probably exaggerated a lot, but I've found that backing can still make me sweat in the worst of circumstances. I'm only speaking subjectively, but I did talk to a 20 year veteran who still doesn't like tight docks.

5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    When you are shifting play “shave and a haircut” in your head. Neutral on SHAVE, gear on HAIR

6. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I retook the road test on Wednesday and passed. I have my CDL license and I’m off for orientation tomorrow.

Dan.S and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't forget about us! Check in every now and then and let us know how you're doing!

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.