Tough times ahead says largest U.S. truck company

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Oct 16, 2019.

1. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Not sure if this was directed at me, however I specifically mentioned the large carriers who are just as big a culprit in driving rates down for this reason.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

No problem.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    That wasnt very nice of me, and i JUST edited mine out right as you quoted me. Im sorry.

At first i thought you were a native pickin on immigrants english, with a typo'd screen name. which woulda been too ironic to ignore. Again im sorry

jon69, starmac and LoneRanger Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Not a problem bud, ill edited it out as well.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  6. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    We had the track suit mafia in our place for two months after one to many shenanigans they got the boot and they practically begged the local guy with a 30 truck fleet to come back.
    They showed up via broker , well the local guys back in happy as a clam , so don't burn your bridgea.

lilillill, racemaxx24 and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    not anyone in specific. It’s just a theme around here.

supply and demand. You aren’t worth that much if everyone and their mom has a truck and trailer. Hate to break it to everyone. Better stop pulling a dry van and reefer if it’s that bad.

jon69 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I was in Minneapolis a few weeks ago and took an Uber into the city... The driver was a Somali, very nice guy. He used to be a trucker but said he couldn't compete with all the Cheap hauling Chicago truckers who come up to Minnesota for loads so he sold his truck and started driving for Uber... LOL...

I certainly got a kick out of him. He did say he was making more money driving for Uber with less headaches than trucking... I dont doubt it.

9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Somalians got the transportation game on lock here. Those dudes hustle, doesn’t bother me. It’s funny seeing people get all bent out of shape about it.

uber
    Taxi
    Limo
    Uber delivery
    Trucking

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  10. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I could care less what the CEO of a rate cutting bottom feeder thinks...

I hope all you megas go belly up.. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  11. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Its almost 10pm and the mt jackson VA sheets [exit 273] has numerous open spots. Theres normally 2 tiers of make a spotters. 2 days ago the very small marion NC pilot had an open spot and thats normally 4 tiers of M-A-S.

My point is this is consistent with ITS's heat map the other day showing a shortage of trucks in southeast and midwest. There was 2000 flat loads on deck in birmingham other day but only a handful that broke 2.25 a mile. There were low priority loads i watched or called on throughout the week that started at insult and crept up to tolerable. But there were also unpriced loads where the broker had an insult offer and total confidence in it, no interest in a counter offer. Others where a double broker load that i know pays $2200 [cuz ive run it for the first broker] is at $1800 with the broker flat out "no" on my negotiation effort. No i didnt accept.

My point is i think this down trend has momentum and brokers who can afford to are playing load board limbo. Its its just one load of lumber that can sit all week, well lets see just how desperate those dirty truckers really are.

Theres a truck reduction based on observing the parking in my regions. But theres a rate that continues to push downward relative to just this summer. This situation is at odds with the natural balance and something will probably change soon. Like a slingshot, you can only pull so much before it snaps back the other way. The drop is probably overdropped. Shippers and brokers who continue to push downward will only drive trucks out and then inadvertently screw themselves in the future when they cant cover loads due to no empty truck. The ball will go back in the carriers court.

Midwest Trucker, Dennixx and dunchues Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.