Toxic Fumes at Truck Stops...?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tman78, Jul 19, 2017.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Hi Friends,

Here's a READ on what i found regarding this subject.
    LINK

Been doing my research, and now i'm really curious about this subject. "Toxic Fumes at Truck Stops?" Some driver told me "Many guys carry a CO2 monitor and when parked in low places that #### thing will scream as they get gassed. ???"

So is this true...toxic fumes accumulate at the Truck stop (like Hong Kong pollution from all the manufacturing plants?)??? I was reading up on this and quite a few drivers are also concerned. You tubers, DRIVERS here are also concerned.

What's the Truth about Toxic fumes at the Truck Stops? I've been to a few of them and i must say, there's a lot of CARBON and Exhaust fumes from Trucks (and i don't mean someone's urine or waste----but truck Carbon omissions).

What's your opinion on this topic and do you have any research that suggest its "FALSE or TRUE?"

Thanks for your constructive input...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Not that big of a deal but it is something you should be concerned about.

If you're not going to idle then do your damest to find a spot to nose in.Not only will you have less racket but the fumes aren't near you. But if its not possible then open your window on the side with the truck that's not running.be wary of pipes under the truck and where another drivers apu box is.

I don't understand why some trucks have the exhaust pipe under the #### truck.

tman78 Thanks this.
  4. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Ok you have some trucks idling, you have trucks with Apu's running, then you have reefer units running continues mode and some start stop mode....so what does common sense tell you???

tman78 Thanks this.
  5. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    The exhaust pipe under is because of stupid egr/def system which causes the soot to fall quicker to ground instead of being dispersed into the air

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    What?
    I've been told by quite a few people that the "grass burner" horizontal exhausts are just cheaper and save a bit of weight.

Gunner75 and A21CAV Thank this.
  7. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Toxic Fumes at Truck Stops...?

[​IMG]

Jazz1, ExOTR, Gunner75 and 8 others Thank this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Grass burner saves weight, costs less, probably a little better on fuel than if you had the stacks on the sides, aerodynamically speaking...

Don't really have to worry about noxious gas; it is the carbon monoxide that will kill you, and diesel engines do not produce much CO. Also, with any hint of a gentle breeze any of it will dissipate... now unless you park in a crater with zero air flow..you might find an issue there

It really isn't something to worry about

Brandt, Ruthless, A21CAV and 4 others Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You're not a YouTube primadonna. You're not one of those sidewalk sissy fearmongers either. She doesn't want to hear from you.

Ruthless and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    thanks gokid,

Now, what about situations where you have to park in a Truck Stop and your at the bottom. Is that a situation you want to avoid?

11. Middleagedrookie

Middleagedrookie Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Probably toxic urine,spread clear across the truck stops like fertilizer!!

alwaysrolling Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.