Toyota Semi Truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by akfisher, Apr 23, 2017.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Wasn't sure what thread to post under but read just now Toyotas coming out with a Hydrogen Engine Semi Truck Zero Emissions i guess. Cant wait to see the bodystyle the choose. I have to say I have had 2 Toyota Tundras that the quality was top of line. I like Toyota.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    well Toyota, like Honda have it covered, they are ahead of the curve compared to Ford, GM and Fiat - I don't even think Fiat has a hybrid.

I love it when I hear reports about how GM and Ford are getting into the Uber thing or the self-driving cars but I think Toyota has one somewhere ready to market - they have their Hydrogen car on the road in California and their plug ins all over the place where GM and Ford are still puting around with it. Crap I think they even have an electric car in the market. I told my dealer I would love to get their hydrogen car and he said only california, they give you free fuel out there, here I would have to buy it at their R&D center from what I was told.

Honda is still making things like robots that walk and have a lot of tech into hydrogen and electric cars too.

4. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Thanks for that link! Of course it takes one of the rice rocket companies to get into the technology that Detroit, (as an example, don't know of any big trucks made there,) should have been working on for years.
    Main reason they haven't been working on it? THE OIL INDUSTRY. Those folks are not real anxious to see any type of "alternative" fuel source.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    scythe08 Thanks this.
  7. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I know technology is advancing exponentially faster than most of us thought possible.... still think this is a long way out.

Until they start putting Flux Capacitors in Volvos, anyway.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Problem with any new fuel source is availability. That was a big problem with the DPF trucks, and one of the reasons sales tanked for the 2007/2008 model years...besides being unproven technology rushed to market without proper testing, you simply couldn't get ULSD anywhere at first. It was expensive to empty, clean, fill, and have your tanks "certified" for ULDS, so many just postponed the certification until the ULSD they were being forced to buy diluted the LSD in their tanks down below the 15 ppm of sulfur. I was still fueling at stations into 2011 that had yet to put the ULSD certification stickers on the pumps...still said "not for use in 2007 or newer vehicles".

It happened again with DEF, as it was prohibitively expensive to add the extra pumps. Here it is nearly half way through 2017 and there are STILL stations without the capability to fill your DEF at the pump. Nobody wants to install the pumps until enough of their customers need them, and nobody wants to buy the trucks until the fluids they need are readily available.

Without a network of fuel stops, a "new" fuel source isn't economically viable unless you're dedicated and have fuel locations lined up...like at your own terminals. For an irregular route carrier, you're stuck running what you can fuel, because the only thing worse than running out of fuel is doing it when the nearest fuel station with YOUR special fuel is a couple hundred miles away.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Reason for edit: damn phone...
    Big Don Thanks this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Hydrogen?
    Does the name "Hindenburg " ring a bell?
    Hydrogen is a very unstable fuel, requires very special handling and equipment.
    Don't believe me, ask any Air Products driver who hauls it.

10. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    A truck with a hydrogen fuel cell isnt a bulk tanker. Even in the even of a leak, hydrogen dissipates extremely quickly and also rises quickly. There isnt going to be mushroom clouds all along the freeway.

Hydrogen powered vehicles are going to be part of the future as the Nikola truck will prove and I can't wait! Nicole will be producing their own fuel and all the stations will be well within the trucks maximum range.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/hydrogen-vehicle-danger.htm

Now , I'll just have to find another spot to take my 30 minute break, since I won't need diesel :(

Good thing there is always the scale!

11. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    @Ridgeline, free fuel? Nothing is free, your pissing for it your tax dollars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.