TQL- I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    My MC is 16 months old. I had a TQL agent call me 15 months ago. I ran one hot TQL load and it paid OK for a newby.

Six months ago, I actually called TQL on a post. We agreed on a rate and I started deadheading toward the load. An hour and a half later I got a call asking if I would come down on the agreed upon rate. Nope.

That pissed me off.

Glad fwd to today. I booked a TQL load for Monday (today is friday). Ten minutes later I got a rate con with no addresses. WTH?

I called and was told it would be under an hour to get the real rate con.

One hour later and nothing so I called and said I need to book with someone else.

The guy apologized and said he'd call when he heard back from his customer.

I booked a new load.

TQL guy calls at 6:00 pm EST to tell me it's good. I let him know it's not good.

How do they do business like this? Seriously. Is this normal for TQL or am I dealing with anomalies?

Lepton1 and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    My authority went active in May. I haven't yet moved a load for TQL. Or Coyote for that matter. You shouldn't either. Just too much hassle.

4. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    No kidding.

The only brokers who've ever caused me trouble were Coyote and TQL.

How do they stay in business?!

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    You said it yourself - newbies.

Lepton1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I had a couple decent guys I worked with on several loads from TQL. Recently however they have gone to hell. Haven’t booked a TQL load in weeks because their brokers act like car salesman. I’m not working with some guy who calls me “dude” or “brother.”

Good example is this week one of their reps has been begging me to move a load of rock for them from Kalispell, MT to Reno, NV. Almost 1100 miles including the deadhead, and he wants me to move it for $2000 on a flat (at first he said $1750).

The last guy I dealt with for these rock loads would pretty much let me name my price. Now and then he would throw and extra $50 on the rate con. He probably got fired.

whoopNride, Lepton1, PE_T and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I blocked their number on my cell phone.

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I did partial for them yesterday ...as a partial it was ok and my dispatch was dealing with them . :)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    TQL is a total joke.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You don’t need them anyway. I quit doing business with them because of all the stupid games they play.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I ran a dry load for a nice girl from Armstrong Logistics last week. Not the best rate, but I could live with $2.60 a mile on 660 miles.

That's like the second or third load I've ever done for Armstrong in 3 years. Never had an issue with them.

Any who, I let her know Thursday that I was going to be in the same area on Monday and asked her if she had another one of those loads, I'd do it. It was easy in & out on both sides of the equation.

She called me Friday morning very enthusiastic and said "her boss" was working on securing another load for me. After several calls back & forth she sent me a ratecon 3 hrs later with the pick-up & delivery times shown as TBD.

I called her back & said I don't commit to anything that doesn't include the pick-up & delivery times on the ratecon and that my truck was still available to anyone who called me, as I had posted it and was receiving calls & offers.

" Oh, I just sent that ratecon to let you know I want your truck!" was her response..."I'll get the updated times to you right away"...

Half an hour goes by, 45 minutes, an hour later I booked a very nice paying load with another broker going right to where I wanted to go!

So, I emailed the young lady from Armstrong to advise her of that reality. She writes me back with a sob story about how hard she worked to secure a load for me and that she hopes she can now cover it, etc.

Cry me a river...

Moral of the story is that TQL isn't the ONLY brokerage house that will jerk you around.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.