Tracing a short circuit on my side repeater.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Michael H, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Howdy all! I finally got the Volvo out of the shop after 3 months. Yes, they took me for a ride. When I picked up the truck, the side repeater and mirror turn signal weren't working. They blew me off and side it was probably just a pinched wire in the door. Decided I had enough of them, so I took the truck home.

I found a broken wire in the mirror and re-soldered it. However, the mirror lamp and side repeater still don't work. The display says, "short circuit LH side repeater."

I traced continuity in the wires leading to the mirror - they check out. I checked continuity leading to the side repeater, again fine. I checked the switch, power coming out of it. So it must be a break somewhere between the switch and relay, or after that.

My question for this part of the forum is this: Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Any suggestions on where I'll find the splices? The wiring diagrams don't show actual locations. Is there a common problem related to this issue with the Volvo's?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance. 2009 VNL670 with a D13 and I-Shift tranny.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    If it says SHORT CIRCUIT it mean hot wire connected to the ground. Open a mirror light and check with ohmmeter. Could be a short in bulb socket. Trace the hot wire in the door and under dash for bruised insulation.

4. Michael H

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Thank you! I'll let you know what I find.

5. Michael H

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Thank you for the advice. I was able to fix the problem, after many hours of searching and tracing wires. I don't know if I fixed it, or if it just started working on its own. We'll see if it's still working in a week. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share with me.

6. D Speet

D Speet Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2019

7. D Speet

D Speet Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2019
    I have a problem with my 2013 side repeater.& mirror ligjt. Did anyone ever really find the short we all experience with this model volvo 670 with the i shift?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.