Tractor and Trailer for Road Test - Manitoba

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by dgudmundson, Oct 31, 2018.

1. dgudmundson

dgudmundson Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Just spent six weeks in a local, "Professional Driving School" (Edit: Note that this is NOT the school with that name) here in Winnipeg.

Long-story-short: The, "School" brags about training you to be a, "Truck Driver, not just pass a test." Good line, but the geniuses forget that one has to pass the blasted test _before_ becoming a Truck Driver. Consequently, after two Exams with MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance - the licencing body here in Manitoba) exactly one person out of my class of eight managed to get their Class 1 with Air. Yeh, wasn't me. Managed to get my Air Brake Endorsement, but didn't even get a chance at a road test because of time . . .

Regardless. I loved it! and I know I can drive, and given a fair shot at an Exam, even here with MPI, I will get the licence.

My predicament though, is that I need a Tractor, Trailer, and a warm licenced body to rent for a new test. I've reached out to the two other English speaking Schools, but haven't heard back yet. Frankly, given the scam (government pays the Student's ~$8,400 tuition) they got going here in Manitoba these days, they're probably filled past capacity so couldn't be bothered.

Anyone got any ideas? or better yet, a unit to rent for a couple of days?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Jazz1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I got my cdl through professional in 95 .. I can’t say on nowadays but back then they were a excellent school with good references . I paid for my own course and it was worth every penny.. MPI doesn’t hand out cdl licences so either the teaching fell off or the students didn’t put in the hard work..I’m not sure but their used to be a outfit in steinbach that rented out units for road tests

4. dgudmundson

Oct 31, 2018
    Thanks. BTW, it wasn't the company named, "Professional Driving School" - sorry about any confusion that may create.

As for Students putting in the work. We, or at least myself and the one guy who passed did (we shared the trucks and Instructors). I attribute the disastrous failure rate on the School as well as MPI. The former for their poor communications; extremely poor curriculum; incorrect strategy (ie: ya gotta be able to pass the test!); inconsistency of Instructors and materials; misalignment of course materials with jurisdiction; and, arrogance of the Owner. The latter (MPI) for their eagerness to fail. I know they have had a reputation to the contrary, but their frequent interjections and general demeanor signal a change in corporate attitude has taken place and they're now in the business of failing folks.

Regardless, thanks, and sorry again about any confusion with the School name.

jt road hammer Thanks this.
  5. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sask
    Pretty sure there's a Warner dealership in Winnipeg; I rented a truck and trailer from there here in Regina for my road test and got a pretty good rate, and good service.

jt road hammer and dgudmundson Thank this.
  6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Here’s the deal.... mpi is cracking down. Hard. And it’s a good thing. After the last fiasco of failing drivers, them going to a mill in Ontario passing them then coming back to manitoba, they are getting tougher. What you need is a referesher course. I’m not sure if trans-x still has their school, but they offered an abbreviated course for people in your situation.

magoo68 and dgudmundson Thank this.
  7. dgudmundson

Oct 31, 2018
    These, "mills" of which you speak. Do tell . . .

asking for a friend :)

Seriously tho. As per usual for Manitoba, it's a totally ridiculous situation.

MPI pays for you to go to one of their, uh, "accredited schools".

The school is one in name only.

MPI then fails the hell of you and the alleged, "school" is, "pfffft! ZFG mate! we gots the money"

Quick math. Manitoba taxpayers paid about $70,000 for one - exactly one! person to get their Class 1

I'm willing to give MPI one more shot at being honest and fair, then I'm off to another Province.

The "school"? As long as the Manitoba government stays as stupid as they currently are; I'd invest, but would never waste my time as a student with them again.

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    MPI will fail a certain percentage to justify their services. I never took any course but cannot imagine spending 6 weeks "learning" and then failing something as mundane as a road test.

dgudmundson Thanks this.
  9. dgudmundson

Oct 31, 2018
    You can't imagine spending six weeks and failing something as mundane as a road test . . . I should have been so lucky to GET TO THE ROAD TEST.

After two attempts and not even getting to the Road Test - Crushing is the only way to describe it.

FTR. First attempt, auto-fail for compounding the breaks. Sure. You release the Tractor Brake, hammer the blasted button even; but when the unit is older than you are and in horrid condition, you push it in and it works (or not) differently every time.

Second attempt. Auto-fail on time. Given the 273 point (spot-on with adjectives) pre-trip inspection and 73 step in-sequence Air Brake Test, coupled with a chatty and intrusive examiner; making it all in under 50 minutes is a miracle.

I should have used an interpreter.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Part of the problem IMO is the teachers are not qualified to teach. maybe a list of criteria supplied by school. They have no formal training,
    Training is a mediocre $21 per hour job requiring only a AZ license.

dgudmundson Thanks this.
  11. dgudmundson

Oct 31, 2018
    The Instructors are great people. Great Truck Drivers too. And though they went through a, "train the trainer" programme, they are not teachers. That too may be fine, but the combination of the Owner's lackadaisical approach to actually getting student's their licenses, combined with MPI's newfound Winnipeg attitude of, deny-deny-deny means that a lot of folks are wasting their time and taxpayer money.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to wait until I move out of Manitoba.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.