Trailer brakes frozen stuck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lonewolf2000, Dec 26, 2017.

1. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    To add... you should never add air line antifreeze to the service line. Emergency line only.

Bob Dobalina and Jazz1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Warm your trailer brakes just prior to dropping trailer to clear snow/ice/rain. then allow to cool off 10 minutes before dumping supply air.. I do this religiously when switching in snowing conditions so my switch is not dealing with frozen brake drums, he does the same.

Grubby, Oxbow, BigBob410 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    How did I know this would be your reply? Oh how I wish some of you could meet the requirements to work in the oilfield.

5. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I’ll be keeping a hammer and chocks handy, this was a PITA . Sure don’t want to make this mistake again, and like someone earlier said the trainer isn’t the best, actually I have more than one. Also isn’t it possible for this to happen if the brakes get too hot?. By the way how hot is to hot to apply trailer brakes.

6. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    Just get in a habit of never setting your brakes.

I found this in my car this morning

Attached Files:

7. WannaGoTrucks2016

WannaGoTrucks2016 Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Which school in NY are you going to? I went to school in NY as well and we weren't trained how to do this either...training to the road test was the goal there... :sign3:

8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The OP asked about frozen brakes. You have added nothing to this thread but to be a troll and find someone to complain about. Even if you didn't like my answer you offered nothing in exchange for a better answer.

9. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    Yeah check again.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They will break free easier in reverse, if that won't work then it's time for the hammer.

Before you stop for night use the brakes only, and not the engine brake, to slow down. long gradual pressure to warm up the brakes and evaporate the moisture from the brake pads before you park helps.

11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    On behalf of the mods, both you two simmer down a bit before you find yourselves in the sin bin.

:)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.